Actual Possibility of New Durand Diamond ACTUAL!

For the group who LOVE to make threads never end, this forum is for you. Contained inside are the longest threads known to man, and responsible for half of AARR's posts. :)
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Actual Possibility of New Durand Diamond ACTUAL!

Unread post by AARR »

odave wrote:
PAT.C wrote: SEVERAL YRS. AGO THEY REMOVED THE DIAMOND [ANYONE REMEMBER THE YR.?]
The Timeline over at RRHX says the diamond being removed in late December of 1987 and replaced in 1990.
It was soon after the sale to CMGN
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

csxt4617 wrote:CSX put those flange bearing diamonds in at Wellsboro a couple years ago (on the CSX side, it doesn't have any diamond clacking, just the sound from a regular insulated joint on either side). I believe they also put this type in at Defiance OH.
CN also installed one of these in Lansing where they cross the NS.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

csxt4617 wrote:CSX put those flange bearing diamonds in at Wellsboro a couple years ago (on the CSX side, it doesn't have any diamond clacking, just the sound from a regular insulated joint on either side). I believe they also put this type in at Defiance OH.
Are you talking about the old CSX diamond before they reconfigured the Wabash Industrial Track? I would have a hard time believing the CSX/CN crossing is a OWLS diamond.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Walkerton is the diamond in question, not Wellsboro. Confusing, similar names, and close together.

Defiance wasn't the OWL diamonds. CSX didn't have time to get a set cast before the court order to replace the diamond, so it was a 'conventional' diamond.

Practice Safe CSX

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

GLC 392 wrote:YES they are replacing them and no they are not high speed diamonds i have been meaning to post this but oh well.... its just your standard diamonds.
It's about time. Has anyone heard when they are going to do it? Also I think it does need some roadbed and tie work, because every time a new diamond goes in at Durand, after a few years it turns into a pond! I think they are going to have to do something perminent in order to try to keep the diamonds up!

Does anyone think they need do put like a cement slab under the diamond(under as in like 10 ft under ground).

EJ&ESDM809
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EJ&ESDM809 »

About the noise of the diamonds, If the same thing happens in Durand as Joliet, the noise will diminish quite greatly, but it will gradually get louder. When they replaced the diamonds in Joliet in 2007 they barely made a sound at first, but within a year they were as loud as ever, so the good thing for anyone who likes diamond noise is the loss of noise should only be temporary, probably no more than a year.
Robby Gragg - Proud fan of the EJ&E Railway

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

CSX_CO wrote:Walkerton is the diamond in question, not Wellsboro. Confusing, similar names, and close together.

Defiance wasn't the OWL diamonds. CSX didn't have time to get a set cast before the court order to replace the diamond, so it was a 'conventional' diamond.

Practice Safe CSX
Epic fail on my part I guess :oops: I meant Walkerton of course. It's on the little used NS crossing. I even went down and took a few photos when I heard they were put in there, and got a Q136 crossing on the CSX side. Very quiet sounding. I didn't know about Defiance not getting them. I'd heard they were supposed to, but last time I was there, I didn't get close enough to them to actually verify they got them.

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

Mr. Tops wrote:
Are you talking about the old CSX diamond before they reconfigured the Wabash Industrial Track? I would have a hard time believing the CSX/CN crossing is a OWLS diamond.
Sorry, I meant Walkerton, not Wellsboro :oops: Before the Wabash Industrial Track at Wellsboro was reconfigured during the CSX upgrade in the late 90's, it just had regular diamonds.

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

EJ&ESDM809 wrote:About the noise of the diamonds, If the same thing happens in Durand as Joliet, the noise will diminish quite greatly, but it will gradually get louder. When they replaced the diamonds in Joliet in 2007 they barely made a sound at first, but within a year they were as loud as ever, so the good thing for anyone who likes diamond noise is the loss of noise should only be temporary, probably no more than a year.
I am glad it is not a high speed diamond. I would miss the noise too much!

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

I am pretty sure this is not true because it is coming from nsglc, but he said the new diamond was IN at Durand. Can anyone tell me for sure yes or no?

Thanks

GTWChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWChris »

Well does it look like the old diamond?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

bnsfben wrote:I am pretty sure this is not true because it is coming from nsglc, but he said the new diamond was IN at Durand. Can anyone tell me for sure yes or no?

Thanks
Tell David he fails. As of yesterday, the new diamond parts were still siting next to the signal cabinet.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

Conrail Jon wrote:
bnsfben wrote:I am pretty sure this is not true because it is coming from nsglc, but he said the new diamond was IN at Durand. Can anyone tell me for sure yes or no?

Thanks
Tell David he fails. As of yesterday, the new diamond parts were still siting next to the signal cabinet.
Alright I will definatly let him know!!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

bnsfben wrote: Actual...ACTUAL!
Really....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

J T wrote:
Really....
Yes, even ask Steven McKay!

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

bnsfben wrote:
J T wrote:
Really....
Yes, even ask Steven McKay!
Actually, in all actuality...

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

Look up Ben...one has a capital A and the other is all caps...

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

The grammar on this board OUTRAGES me!!!! Sorry Gregg couldnt resist! :D
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

DR wrote:The grammar on this board OUTRAGES me!!!! Sorry Gregg couldnt resist! :D
Dang you DR I wanted to use the OUTRAGED! card on this one! Agreed, Gregg sorry, but its too perfect!

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

So has this new diamond gone in yet? All this talk about it makes me want to drive up to Durand and see what all the fuss is about. :D