Fostoria 6-4-05 [Part 1] and 2

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Fostoria 6-4-05 [Part 1] and 2

Unread post by Scooterb »

My daughter and I head off to Fostoria for a day of railfanning. We crawl out of bed at 4:30 a.m. and get out of the house by 5:00. We see a couple of trains between Galatia and Fostoria, and learn that 3 or 4 e.b. trains are parked between East Fostoria and Willard. By west Fostoria we see a parked East bound coal train with BNSF power. I definitely want to get a picture of him but before that there is this westbound Q241 to get out of the way.
7:10 Q241
Q216 is coming down from Walbridge so its off to East Fostoria to get him
7:22 Q216

Just before Q216 comes by the coal train symbol N841 gets the go ahead to move. A quick check of the book shows he is headed to Trenton Michigan so he is going to head north to Toledo. Well I will shoot Q216 and then had north and get him. Maybe not? I look to the north knowing I will have to cross McDougle road to get to where I am going and see the W.B. NS 15E well I know he has to stop and McDougle will be blocked, now I am in a jam. Fortunately Q216 clears and I head around to North Fosstoria. Finally I get the shot
7:35 N841.

Head back to town to see the end of a grain train coming around the s.w.wye. well we missed that one.

7:50 NS 286 [no pic] NS 8658 power

8:00 NS local [no pic]
8:00 Q242
8:15 its over to Town rd to get in position for NS 262. I may have a problem 262 is coming through town and NS 15E is also on the move will I get the shot or not.

How about that.

8:35 Q635 rolls in from the East taking the s.e. transfer.
8:46 Q1?? W.b. stack train [no pic] FURX 3018

8:55 E941 [no pic] BNSF 9403

9:04 Q164 at the depot
9:14 Q160 west of town

Start to head back to the depot and rounding the corner what is this? I have missed a Sulfer train that has snuck up and rounded the s.w.wye. as I am wondering how I missed that one a grain train led by BNSF locos go by e.b. Boy am I losing my touch Oh well lets settle in and get re-focused.
Head up to Town rd to get NS 146
9:30 NS 146

10:04 Q357 w.b. the 2 trailing units of a 5 unit consist are brand new UP’s

10:18 Q381 BNSF 798 leader [no pic]

10:32 Q389 CSX 8427 leader [no pic]

10:39 Q276 comes down from Walbridge

This is the end of part one. Will follow with part 2 tommorow.
Hope all enjoyScott B
Last edited by Scooterb on Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

very nice pictures as always scott. i see you are getting the exposures on the shots down a lot better. are you mainly just a roster shot man? just notice a lot of shots just show the engines. i have a hard time placing these photos, even though i've been around fostoria :)
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

The wedgie shot are probably a hold over from when I was trying to get pics accepted to r.p.net. That seems like the shots they always want.
Thanks again for looking.
Scott B.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

well, if you aren't sending in a lot of shots to rp.net, try getting more of the train, and some scenery for some pictures. makes for a nice variety if you choose to do that. looking forward to seeing more of what you see.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

chessiesd
Railroadfan...fan

Thank You Scooterb

Unread post by chessiesd »

I am preparing for my FIRST visit to F. Your trip report and photos are one of the most informative things I have seen thus far. Thanks.

Of course, I am going to have to get up a bit earlier than you did, about 350 miles earlier.

Thanks again,

BM

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Its about 113 miles from my house to Fostoria. If you need any other info about Fostoria let me know I will see what I can do. The first time I went there I was overwhelmed because I was unprepared but I got on line and did my homework and have it down pretty good now. The best place to start is just east of the Amtrak station you can get most of the NS and CSX east and westbounds. If any go around the wyes they can only do 10mph so whith luck you can beat them north, south, or east of town.
Scott B.