Mississippi Trip Planning

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Mississippi Trip Planning

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

I'm looking into taking a trip to Mississippi (and potentially some other states as well) to railfan in the not-so-far-off-future. However, I'm drawing a blank as far as research for the trip goes. I know approximately where I want to go, but I'm not sure which websites will tell me what I want to know before I get distracted and forget what I was looking for. Are there any websites that feature railfan information specifically for Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas or Louisiana?

It seems like there should be information for each of these states out there, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
~ Charles W.

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Mississippi Trip Planning

Unread post by BB »

Here's a little bit of info for those states.
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/for ... .php?f=114
MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

The two new shortlines that CN just spun off follow US 51, all the way from the TN line to Jackson, along US 51. The CN main from Memphis to Jackson is pretty easy to follow as well.

The NS main across the middle of MS is easier to follow east of Jackson along US 80 than west of Jackson, towards Vicksburg.

Meridian is a good place to see both NS and BN action.

Hattiesburg has lots of good spots, right in the city limits, though some are not in very nice areas to hang out, especially at night.

KCSrailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KCSrailfan »

Let me tell you alittle about Louisiana Since i live here. You might want to check out Shreveport-Bossier City,where i live. The KCS and UP is here,and KCS's main yard the Deramus Yard is here,along with 3 other KCS Yards. There are 5 KCS Subdivisions that come out of here,the KCS Vicksburg Sub a.k.a Meridian Speedway,KCS Beaumont Sub,KCS Shreveport Sub,KCS Alexandria Sub. The KCS offers some great stuff to see. The UP has three yards,the Riverside Yard,Hollywood Yard,Reisor Yard. The UP has Three subdivisions here. And then we have Gisbland,its a small town ,but the KCS interchanges with the LNW,and LAS there. And then there is Monroe,a city,and KCS interchanges with the ALM and UP there and there the Vicksburg Sub goes on to Vicksburg,MS. Southern Louisiana offers some great railfanning also,like in Lake Charles,Baton Rouge,New Orleans,Lafeyette.

Texas offers great places also like in Tyler,Longview,Big Sandy,Gladewater and Greenville,and these are places i have been too. They are a pretty good piece to drive also. Meridian is great to catch some KCS,NS,Amtrak action. In New Orleans you can catch KCS,CSX,NS,NOPB,CN also.

-Damian
The Ultimate Railroad, The Kansas City Southern aka damianbradley
http://kcsrailfan.proboards57.com/index.cgi

lakeshoredave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lakeshoredave »

i'd start in jackson. thats the crossroads of railroading in mississippi. the ex ic and the kcs interchange there. i'd like to see some more shots from the yazoo line of the cn....it looks like a good railroad to chase stuff on.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Wow. 9 years later and this trip still hasn't happened.

And after 9 years, I'm more interested in the trip and the beach than the trains...but... maybe this will finally be the year for the trip.
~ Charles W.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Some information is available on the Railfan Guides website: http://www.railfanguides.us/