Conrail Shared Assets Operations

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Conrail Shared Assets Operations

Unread post by AARR »

Will any of this business ever come back?
If it does it's unlikely to come back to MI. The cost of business is high and, regretfully, paying people a fair wage and benefits (aka union compensation) is not competitive in our international scope of business. It'll go to other countries or states with a lower cost of doing business.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

Don Simon wrote:
Will any of this business ever come back?
If it does it's unlikely to come back to MI. The cost of business is high and, regretfully, paying people a fair wage and benefits (aka union compensation) is not competitive in our international scope of business. It'll go to other countries or states with a lower cost of doing business.
Wow :cry: :cry: :cry: it seems if this continues all of michigan besides the wabash and the CN port huron chicago line will be a shortline. or maybe a regional if they all combine :?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Wow it seems if this continues all of michigan besides the wabash and the CN port huron chicago line will be a shortline. or maybe a regional if they all combine
It kind of looks that way. I'd think that each line would try to keep a foothold in Detroit but I wouldn't bet on it.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

I sure hope so.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

I need an update on the jobs that are left.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Here's whats left.....1st - trick LV 06 0800, LV 09 0800, LV 04 0630, MY 06 0759, RR 01 0700, TR 03 0600, RR 23 0630, & as needed LV 98 ( 98PLV ) crane pilot. 2nd trick - LV 31 1600, LV 35 1430, RR 20 1430, RR 40 1430, RR 25 1500, WS 34 1300. 3rd trick - LV 60 2230, NY 46 2230, RR 51 2230. They will still call extra jobs as needed. Don't ask what each jobs does at this time, because until they can figure out how much work they can get out of which job, the duties are not set in stone.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

HERE ARE THE OLD JOB AND ONE STILL AROUND UNTIL WE FIND OUT WHICH JOB THAT IS LEFT DOES WHAT

RIVER ROUGE YARD

RR-23
6:30am. Mon/Wed/Fri serves Fritz Ent. AJM (new bus. @ the old kids r us warehouse) and delivers cars to 'BRO' for the RR-32 that switches the FORD redistribution warehouse. Tues/Thur & relief job on Sat, to glass.

RR-32
3:00pm. switches the Ford plant.

RR-61
10:30am. brings in the train & switches Columbian Express and picks up the RR-40 train and brings them back to River Rouge yard.

RR-40
2:30am. switches the industries at Lincoln yard. Marathon ashphalt, LPG & ethanol tracks. CDW warehouse, Schrader tire & Savage Ind. ( flexaflow ).

NORTH YARD

NY-1 / RCO
does mostly yard work and may serve a customer or two. However, the humper (NY-1) has worked industries before, like PTI on the Sterling secondary. The CN interchange also gets a switch as cars arrive in the yard.

NY-5,
7:00am. Works Huber yard and serves customers on the Beltline extention ( loading docks / loads out, Strong Steel / scrap loads out, LaGrasso Bros. Produce / loads in and Terminal west Winston Bros scrap/ loads out, Alpha Resins / loads in.

NY-41
works in the yard, goes to PTI and switches the RIP tracks. The NY-41 also spots tracks for the out bound trains to pick up. There use to be more jobs there.

The NY-4 was the 2nd humper, working from the Conant end of the yard, the NY-3, that went to Livernois yard after they severed the Terminal West line,

NY-61
night humper worked in the yard and switched PTI.

LIVERNOIS YARD

LV-4
(days) works the Highland Park Industrial track, also called Terminal West. They only go as far as Clover Drive which is the location of the Frazer passing track.

LV - 6
works both the CSX & NS van sites as as well as the "junk yards". Metal Management now own the former Mars metal & Kewell yards. Levy's gets cars a couple of times a week.

LV-7
operates on Jct yd line for Det salt & Rouge Steel

LV-9
works the industries along John Kronk ave. known as the brick yard industrial, Ferrous ( scrap ) Cabot st.warehouse ( boxcars / loads in ) MNP ( wire ) and Hermies Automotive down by the old depot ( boxcars / loads out. Plus they do a little yard switching.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

updated

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Which job from Livernois runs to Mound Road Yard :?:

I'm confused on the B45/B33 running to North Yard - can somebody fill me in :?:

Thanks

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

NS-based operations up in Sterling have been cut. It's only CSX-based operations of Conrail Shared Assets that runs up to Sterling now.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

NS B35 runs from Oakwood to North yard & return
CSX D717 runs from Rougemere to North Yard & return
B45 no longer operates wayne to North Yard
MY-6/NY-6 (same thing, can't remember which symbol is currently used) runs from Livernois to North Yard to do local industrial work.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

updated.

I dont really consider North Yard "closed" anymore as an engine is stationed there.

Not sure if all this information that has been updated is 100% correct.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Any power that you see at North yard is left there by a crew that would have gone on overtime. The Sterling crew and the North yard crew have both had to leave their power behind and get cabbed back to LIvernois yard. Remember that if and when Chrysler gets up and going again they will have to station crews somewhere on the Eastside to service the customers in a timely fashion. In reference to being 'closed', there are no crews that go on/off duty there, there are no yardmasters on duty ( now handled by the YM at Livernois yard ) only a trainmaster stting around with his finger in his................ear. There are still trains that do work there.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Ok. I got it now.

Speaking of Chrysler they are supposed to open most plants toward the end of this month. I think the jobs that were eliminated will come back the same way they eliminated.

Tim

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

With Chrysler reopening the Dodge truck and Sterling assembly and the stamping plants I think it's getting closer to Conrail reopening Sterling and Mound Road Yards. Maybe Mack and North soon. :)

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

I don't think you will see Sterling, Mound, or Mack Yards "re-open" I'm hoping North Yard is re-opened with yardmasters there and crews coming on & going off duty there.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Will 17J be reinstated?
How do you get into North Yard? I've gone over it on the Mt Elliott overpass, but could not see how to get closer to it.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

hoborich, if you're not a Conrail employee you have no right entering into North Yard. There isn't much to see anyway.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

That's not what I asked!
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Not to promote tresspassing but it looks like the crews are driven into North Yard on via a driveway on Conant on the North side of the underpass. That would be tresspassing.

There is the old Mt. Elliot rd that used to cross the tracks before the bridge was built that goes right up to the yard. On both sides of the yard. THen theres Lynch Rd that goes through there and could give some views of any switching. Thats all in the hood so I wouldn't advise being there alone at night.

If things get heavy enough at Sterling Yard NS and CSX will start having roadfreights out of those yards like "normal" like 17J.