Coleman railroad pic

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
chessiefan1980
Railroadfan...fan

Coleman railroad pic

Unread post by chessiefan1980 »

Anyone know where in Coleman this would be? You can see the signal in the background at left. What did this signal protect??? Anyone have any info???
[/img]

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Well that appears to be the depot behind the cab, and if IIRC, that is on the north side of the tracks, so it must be a eastbound. I know there was a siding there, probilly for the siding. The whole line at one time was signaled.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:Well that appears to be the depot behind the cab, and if IIRC, that is on the north side of the tracks, so it must be a eastbound. I know there was a siding there, probilly for the siding. The whole line at one time was signaled.
I was raised in the area and I agree with you totally.
There was a line from Coleman to Mt. Pleasant that was torn up before I knew it existed, so that had to occur prior to '55''. Since the engine is a GP-30 that was introduced in '62', I doubt the signal has anything to do with the line.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

hobojim wrote:
sd70accsxt700 wrote:Well that appears to be the depot behind the cab, and if IIRC, that is on the north side of the tracks, so it must be a eastbound. I know there was a siding there, probilly for the siding. The whole line at one time was signaled.
I was raised in the area and I agree with you totally.
There was a line from Coleman to Mt. Pleasant that was torn up before I knew it existed, so that had to occur prior to '55''. Since the engine is a GP-30 that was introduced in '62', I doubt the signal has anything to do with the line.
Not to mention the Chessie System painted caboose, which began appearing in the 1970's.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

chessiefan1980
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chessiefan1980 »

Mebbe I should ask the photographer, LOL...Does anyone know if David Hedlund frequents these boards at all?

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

chessiefan1980 wrote:Mebbe I should ask the photographer, LOL...Does anyone know if David Hedlund frequents these boards at all?
i was wondering the same thing, man he took some good shots.

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

Unread post by TrainNut85 »

Hey Hobojim, I hate to correct you on this but the line from Coleman to Mt Pleasant was torn up the same time the line from Midland to Baldwin was torn up. That was in 1988 when the line was abandoned.

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

TrainNut85 wrote:Hey Hobojim, I hate to correct you on this but the line from Coleman to Mt Pleasant was torn up the same time the line from Midland to Baldwin was torn up. That was in 1988 when the line was abandoned.
Are you kidding? I don't ever remember that line and I grew up in the Sanford/ Averill area. Can you give me some verification as I am curious about this line. I have an atlas of all the rail lines in Michigan but it does not give the date of abandonment.
Now I am really curious.

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

I just checked a US geological map of 1971 and it is there as plain as day. I guess one can learn something any day.
Thanx for the info. :D

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

Unread post by TrainNut85 »

Somewhere on the net it has it posted about the line being ripped up in '88. I was three years old and I can remember them tearing them up the tracks.