CSX History Question

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

CSX History Question

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

I'm in the middle of a project for a class and am realizing that although I know the basics of the history of CSX, there's a lot I don't know. Because I have to document my sources, I need to find sites that are "reputable" (in other words, no wikipedia). The problem I've been running into is that the websites I've found that I can use either have been offering conflicting information or incomplete information. The CSX corporate website hasn't been much help either, as unlike most companies, they don't have a history page or section that explains the history of the company (oddly enough, even the "Nazi Southern" has a short company history on their website). Does anyone know where I can find a fairly detailed history of CSX and it's chief predecessors? Specifically, I've found plenty on the C&O/B&O/WM, but the post-Chessie System history and almost all the Seaboard stuff is pretty hazy for me yet.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can pass along.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

there have been several articles in Trains mag over the years on this subject

try Trains. com
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

You may want to get a copy of "CSX" by Brain Soloman. Excellent book with everything you need to know about CSX and it's predecessors, plus the whole Conrail split, corporate history, and what went into the Chessie System, Seaboard and Family Lines mergers.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/