"Then & Now" picture thread

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
J T
Hates Supper

"Then & Now" picture thread

Unread post by J T »

Inspired by Pete Mayor's "now" photos of Larry Doyle's mid-60's "then" shots, Jon Hall and I set out today in the Lansing area capture some more of Larry's shots.

This seems like a great subject for a thread, so feel free to add any "then & now" picture comparisons you have.

I'm making mine 800 pixels wide so they can be viewed in the thread as opposed to having a wide, 1024 pixel shot (standard width) or a small thumbnail.

So I'll get it started. :D

Here's Larry's shot of C&O 4006 heading east, just south of Saginaw St, followed by my shot of Q326 today:

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Here's another from Larry's collection. The MSU power plant on Shaw. I remember these tracks quite vividly from my visits to MSU in the 70's, but sometime in the 80's they were removed. Absolutely NO remnants remain, except for a slight hump in the road where the crossing used to be.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I enjoy the "Then and Now's". Thank you JT.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

More to come, Don. Stay tuned...

flafiretwo
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks to all that have participated in my "classic&quo

Unread post by flafiretwo »

As a new member...I'd like to say THANK YOU to everyone.

I appreciate the views of my images, the interesting comments, and the photo 'repairs' .

Now, I'm really enjoying the comparison shots that have been captured at the locations I visited 40 years ago.

I have a new " Where Is It" ...hope someone may be able to provide location information and a reason for the passenger train to be parked on the weed covered tracks.

THANKS, Larry
MSU Student 1964-1967 , My Dorm was Wonders Hall, C & O Operators at Trowbridge were still hooping the Train Orders..first to engineer and then to the Conductor on the rear !!!!

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

Keep posting those shots Larry! We all love your classic stuff!

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

I like this thread! Keep them coming! :D -Chris