NYC- Lansing-Cavanaugh Yard- Pennsylvania Road Overpass

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
flafiretwo
Railroadfan...fan

NYC- Lansing-Cavanaugh Yard- Pennsylvania Road Overpass

Unread post by flafiretwo »

Pete Mayor has completed more research on one of my photos from 1964

Some ideas have been put in the comments section for the NYC Geep photo...where the picture is looking down on the unit. Comments with the photo mention 496 - Kzoo??, I could use some more help. Quess 496 is Interstate 496......

Thanks Pete !!!!

Larry
Last edited by flafiretwo on Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.
MSU Student 1964-1967 , My Dorm was Wonders Hall, C & O Operators at Trowbridge were still hooping the Train Orders..first to engineer and then to the Conductor on the rear !!!!

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

Thanks to both of you. Geat looking at the historic shots and also trying to figure out and confirm the locations.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Larry, I'm going to be in Lansing sometime this week and plan on contributing to the "then and now" theme of your shots that Pete has started. I've already printed out several and plan to do some hunting. :)

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

The photo is taken from the old Main St bridge which was replaced by I-496. The switch stand in the lower right is under the I-496 wb off ramp for Cedar St and is the south switch for the South Track visible behind the train. Buildings were part of Capitol City Lumber and most of them are gone now. They had a siding off the South Track. This might be train TL-2 which came out of Jackson and went to the Belt returning with the waycar to P/U their train at South Yard [Cavanaugh Rd] however they usually had two units.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Tim, are you saying this is the NS line that is still in existance that comes off the CSX line just noth of Kalamazoo St?

flafiretwo
Railroadfan...fan

Picture Under Discussion .NYC Geep... Suggested Map Location

Unread post by flafiretwo »

This url takes you to the NYC Geep image from 1964-1965 that was a "mystery"location. The slide tray notes only indicate the city where these slides were captured... 40 years ago

NYC Geep: http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-41479

This url is the suggested map location for the photo and would be in walking distance..my only means of travel in 1964...from MSU. If you click on "satellite" after the map loads, you can see the building that may be the same one in the picture

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... &z=16&om=1

THANKS FOR THE RESEARCH, Larry
MSU Student 1964-1967 , My Dorm was Wonders Hall, C & O Operators at Trowbridge were still hooping the Train Orders..first to engineer and then to the Conductor on the rear !!!!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Larry, Jon Hall and I drove over the 496 overpass at the spot we THOUGHT was where your shot was taken. The curve in the tracks there is the opposite of your shot, so we ruled that one out. I'm still guessing it might be from the old line that isn't there any more, the one you shot going under Michigan Ave...which would be right on your walking route.