Former Wabash between Adrian & Butler Questions

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Former Wabash between Adrian & Butler Questions

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I was out yesterday along the NS (Wabash) between Adrian & Montpelier mostly to catch some CP trains, but did manage to catch a couple of NS moves as well. As a result of this, I have the following questions.

1. I would suspect that at one time the line was double tracked between Detroit & Montpelier, when was the double track taken up?

2. At Sand Creek, the Right of Way appears wide enough for a couple of yard tracks to the south of the main. I know that the DT&I "old line" joined up to the west of town, (I haven't quite figured out where though) so were there additional tracks there for that?

3. At Montpelier, does the Indiana Northeastern keep power there, or do they turn and head back after coming into town?

Thanks in advance!
Michael Schwiebert

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Q1. I would suspect that at one time the line was double tracked between Detroit & Montpelier, when was the double track taken up?

Q2. At Sand Creek, the Right of Way appears wide enough for a couple of yard tracks to the south of the main. I know that the DT&I "old line" joined up to the west of town, (I haven't quite figured out where though) so were there additional tracks there for that?
A. My maps do not show evidence of a small yard at Sand Creek but it's possible there was one many years ago. The DT&I tracks crossed the Wabash about a mile southwest of the NYC and WAB crossing that is east of Adrian.

Q3. At Montpelier, does the Indiana Northeastern keep power there, or do they turn and head back after coming into town?
A. IN does not keep engines at Montpelier as a regular practise although it's possible it has happened a few times over the years. Normally the train makes a turn from Hillsdale.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

They used to have a barn/shed on the South east side of the yard that they kept there power at. off the end of Stuben Street

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

There was another line that came to Butler, if I remember correctly (from one of the SPV maps) It came from Logansport, crossed the old Erie at Newton, and the NYC (now NS) Marion Branch at North Manchester. I believe it was Wabash and later PRR, and abandoned by PC.

leo28150
Deactivated

Unread post by leo28150 »

#3. Yes, the IN keeps power at Montpelier at their enginehouse; this house holds 2 engines and they will put the engines in the 'barn' when sitting there unless there are more than 2 engines in town.