Michigan Central Railroad Bay City Branch question

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Michigan Central Railroad Bay City Branch question

Unread post by MiddleMI »

Does anyone have a timeline of when the Michigan Central Railroad's Bay City Branch was constructed? I see that it took in the Detroit and Bay City Railroad, which was apparently chartered in 1881, but I think part of this existed previous to then? I'm particularly interested in how the part of the line within Metro Detroit came together. The history of Warren seems to state that the settlements that would become the villages of Center Line and Warren (Mound Road at Chicago Road) were stagecoach stops settled around the 1830's and 1840's, and then the railroad would eventually replace those services, but I'm not sure how early that happened.

Thanks!

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Michigan Central Railroad Bay City Branch question

Unread post by joeyuboats »

By looking it up found that it was 1873, and the last passenger train was 1964. Some of it is still in use, other sections have been removed. As of today, it stops at M59, but HESR AND LSRC still use parts of it.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

The MCRR Indian Lake Road stone arch bridge near Lake Orion was built in 1891 but is believed to be a replacement for an earlier wooden structure.

The railroad history area of Michiganrailroads.com has a great timeline feature year-by-year that covers the construction of most lines across the state. That might have your answer!

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

Unfortunately, they do not.