Big Rapids depot write-up/railroad history

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Big Rapids depot write-up/railroad history

Unread post by David Collins »

I hadn’t heard of Big Rapids until I applied to Ferris state earlier last year, I knew there were no train tracks around, and was a bit bummed out by that…I did end up finding my fix a little later on once I got to Ferris. I did, however, become fascinated about the trains that used to run through Big Rapids. So today, one of my buddies from Ferris State sent me a screen shot of a really interesting write up on facebook about the old depot in Big Rapids.

Another member on this site (I’m not naming names, you know who you are) who went to Ferris State in Big Rapids as well a loooong time ago told me a little bit about the tracks that used to run through town, this write-up added some more detail and some interesting gossip (definitely legitimate :lol: ) of a possible return of a branchline to Big Rapids and the former rail line?

If anyone wants to add any information/photos they feel may be relevant please post! I’d love to learn more about the line particularly during the MN days but anything else is appreciated!
Attachments
IMG_6051.jpeg
IMG_6053.jpeg
IMG_6054.jpeg
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Big Rapids depot write-up/railroad history

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I also attended Ferris a loooong time ago. I took a great head on shot of a PNC Geep at the Maple Street crossing adjacent to the depot. Alas the print and negatives have been lost to time.

The write up of the “depot history” is a bit lacking. There is a lot of railroad history in the area.

A great place to start learning is Michigan Railroads.
https://www.michiganrailroads.com/stati ... -rapids-mi