GTW Cass City Sub.

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
GT1970
Railroadfan...fan

GTW Cass City Sub.

Unread post by GT1970 »

Does anyone have any information on the GTW's Cass City Sub. I used to live near it in Cass City, just as it was being shut down. I would like to know what type of motive power was used and what industries were serviced. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

R Bedell
Railroadfan...fan

CC

Unread post by R Bedell »

Yeah, I know a little. My Father used to work on the Cass City Sub-Division on the "section crew" back in the mid 60's. I live about 15 West of Cass City and know the area fairly well.

GT1970
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GT1970 »

I moved with my parents to Cass City in 1980 from Lapeer. When I was in Lapeer we used to go down to the tracks where they crossed M-24 and watch trains. Anyway, when we got to Cass City, I remember hearing the train a couple of times we lived south of town off of Warner Road about a mile and a half; maybe two from Cemetary Road. I think they switched the grain elevator south of town. I was wondering if you knew what kind of power they used on the line and what other industries they serviced on the line. As far as I can tell the line ran from the Pontiac yard through Imlay City and terminated near the tip of the Thumb. I would think it was mostly grain elevators, but information on any other customers would be helpful.

Thanks.

R Bedell
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by R Bedell »

Well, the power depends on the Time Frame. Towards the end, it would have been the GP9's, exactly as depicted in my avatar.

With regards to industry, here again it depends on the Time Frame, I can only respond to the business's in Tuscola and Huron Counties. Starting at the North end of the line:

Caseville - There was a local Lumber Yard, and one small industry (Industrial Ovens) and seems I recall something to do with the local Marine trade.

Pigeon - There is a major Grain Elevator (Pigeon Co-op). Also there were two farm implement dealers that received Ag equip.

Owendale - A local Ag Elevator and there was one Auto Mfgr business (Active Industries)

Gagetown - Local Ag Elevator

Cass City - Local Ag Elevators, a Farm Implement Dealer, Lumber Yard and at least one local Industry.

Deford - I don't know of any business served there

Wilmont - I believe this just a junction with the DBC&W and later DC&S RR's until they pulled their tracks up.

Kingston - Local Ag Elevator

Clifford - Local Ag Elevator and I believe one small industry

This is best I can do from memory. Others may expand on this and add more to your inquiry South of Tuscola County. There was Passenger Service on this at one time and that ended I beleive in the early 50's. Also steam power existed until the late 50's also.

Hope this helps.

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

Power on the "Polly Ann" was anything from SW1200's to GP38AC's. In the later steam era (50's-60's) GTW's 5400 series Pacifics were the mainstay.
Trains:
M49 "mixed" train, westbound (Caseville-Pontiac) Ran tri-weekly until the 60's when the passenger equipment was dropped.

M52 "mixed" train, eastbound (Pontiac-Caseville) Ran tri-weekly until the 60's when the passenger equipment was dropped.

549 Bi-weekly westbound from Caseville to Pontiac..ran until the end of regular service

552 Bi-weekly eastbound from Pontiac to Caseville..ran until the end of regular service
Dave C

GT1970
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GT1970 »

Thanks, All of this info is very helpful! :D