Need Help with ID

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
TrainWatcher
The Beast

Need Help with ID

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Ok, since many of you have been doing this for a few years, I saw something awhile ago but, need some help with an ID.

My Grandfather had passed away on August 3, 1993 from cancer. (he's the one that got me in love with trains). Anyway my parents, my self, and my late grandmother were passing over the Ford Rd. (M-153) bridge in Canton, that goes above the CSX Toldeo Division. Now this is just north of John Hix. Now, my mother spotted smoke on the tracks and turned the car down the truck route that parallels the bridge on both sides. As we drove down, from under the bridge came a steamer with a 8-10 car train full of gray passenger cars (all heavyweight and windows busted out) headed Southbound. She also had a caboose on the rear end.

Now, On another forum, we have narrowed it down to a few steamers who were in the Detroit Area in 1993. One being NKP 765 (re done to look like her sister C&O #2765), NKP #587, and even possibily GTW #6325. Now, the thing is while we were sitting at the crossing, there were 2 guys with cameras taking pics as she went by. I know for sure the wheel arrangement was 4-8-4 or Mountain class......

Since some of ya'll have been around for a while, takin pictures, someone here may know something. Like I said, NKP #765 (Dressed as C&O #2765) was to pull an excursion from Livonia to Holland, but it never happened..... not enough ticket sales. Anyone got a clue?

:D It would really put my wondering Mind to rest.

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

2765 (765) did in fact, run a trip to Holland, around that time, as I chased it from roughly Fox (started at the Thorneapple River bridge) and ended at the station at Holland (with a chase down Chicago Dr, for good measure :) )
Doing a google search, I came up with the following:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,316666
Looks like it was running around Fostoria on the date you mentioned.
and the other post I saw, which I assume is the other forum you mentioned, since I think that's your post there:
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=326727
Mentions the date 2765 ran to Holland was Aug 14th, which sounds about right.

Also, only 6325 is a 4-8-4, but I don't think that one was restored yet in 1993. 765 is a 2-8-4, and 587 (which I saw running double-headed with 765 a few weeks earlier) is a 2-8-2

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

even possibily GTW #6325.
Where did you come up with that??
Here's what 6325 looked like in 1993:
The only "activity" that 6325 saw that year was it's movement from Battle Creek, where it was being stored, to the OC Shops in Coshocton, Ohio. It would be five more years before the OC even started to rebuild the engine.
As for 587, Yes it was in the area in 1993, but it was not on any CSX lines. All of the 587's ventures into this state were for NS Excursion trains.

Which means that you saw 765, dressed up as C&O 2765, more than likely on a special ferry move or something like that.
NKP #765 (Dressed as C&O #2765) was to pull an excursion from Livonia to Holland, but it never happened..... not enough ticket sales.
Auctually it DID happen, and from what I understand it was very succesful. It ran on August 14, 1993
There was another trip planned that was supposed to run from Plymouth to Saginaw the next day....I've never heard anything about that one, and I think that one might have been the one that was cancelled. But I could be wrong...if anyone has any information on that trip, feel free to post.
Also, 765 is a 2-8-4 Berkshire type, not a 4-8-4 (Northern) or 4-8-2 (Mountain).

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

The Saginaw to Plymouth trip was cancelled, I took the day off work for nothing. I even went inside the CSX Flint yard office, to ask about it, as it was (time wise) almost to be to flint, and there were no other people around or nothing on the scanner. That is when the gentelman, (one I know I have sence worked with) traced it on the computer, and even asked the dispatcher on the "female dog box", where it was. Found out it had been cancled and was switching at Plymouth at the time, to prepair to head south.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

GREAT! That places her on the Southbound Toldeo Div. at that crossing when I saw her. :D :D But, where sis the coaches coem from? Why would she be pulling a train full of cars with broken windows? I do remember there were 2 CN Cars in the middle of the train..... thought that was wierd. Thanks.....