GTW Grand Rapids Sub Tonnage Ratings

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

GTW Grand Rapids Sub Tonnage Ratings

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Hello all, I am looking for a tonnage graph for the Grand Rapids Subdivision during the later years of GTW ownership. I have seen a steam-era graph that showed the tonnage ratings for a few first-gen diesels, but I’ve never seen anything newer than that. Has anyone seen one from say the 1970s or 1980s? I would guess that the GTW would’ve published one for employees. Or does anyone happen to know what later diesel power like GP38s, GP40s and SD40s would’ve been rated for on this line? Below is a Tom Carter photo showing GP38 #5801 pulling its guts out leaving Grand Rapids eastbound crawling out of the Grand River valley.

"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: GTW Grand Rapids Sub Tonnage Ratings

Unread post by AARR »

I have tonnage ratings for the SD40's (approx. 50% 1.5 greater than the GP9 4427-4441 & GP18 4700-4707). I can guess on the 38's based on their listed tractive effort (approx. 10% 1.1 greater than GP9 4427-4441 & GP18 4700-4707). If no one else answers this I'll do so later.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

3 TOFC cars with 6 trailers of Milwaukee's finest beer. They derailed 4 locomotives and the beer chars at the wb switch for the downtown depot track, pretty sure in 1968. I was working 2nd shift that summer at American Seating Co and drive my mom's new 1968 Mustang down to watch the cleanup.
The C&O diesel wreck crane now in Coopersville was on the west end and the GT Durand wrecker was on the east side. The interior of the C&O crane was stuffed with cases of beer :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

SD40's are rated at 3,720 tons westbound between Durand & Grand Rapids and 4,380 tons eastbound. Between Grand Rapids & Muskegon they are rated 3,600 tons westbound and 4,070 tons eastbound.

I'm guessing the GP38ac's were rated about 10% higher than the heaviest class of GP9's/18's which would put them at 2,640 tons westbound between Durand & Grand Rapids and 3,110 tons eastbound. Between Grand Rapids & Muskegon they were rated 2,560 tons westbound and 2,890 tons eastbound.

The 38-2's would probably be close to the 38ac's.

Source: Grand Trunk Western, Patrick C. Dorin, 1977. Table from April 27, 1969.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Raildudes dad wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:08 pm
3 TOFC cars with 6 trailers of Milwaukee's finest beer. They derailed 4 locomotives and the beer chars at the wb switch for the downtown depot track, pretty sure in 1968. I was working 2nd shift that summer at American Seating Co and drive my mom's new 1968 Mustang down to watch the cleanup.
The C&O diesel wreck crane now in Coopersville was on the west end and the GT Durand wrecker was on the east side. The interior of the C&O crane was stuffed with cases of beer :)
Interestingly RDD, Tom Carter shot this train again about an hour later in Ada crossing the Thornapple River, with no TOFC cars on the head end. Would they have been dropped off at Amway?

And thank you, Don.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Amway didn't have a way to unload them to my knowledge. But that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Maybe Planner Dad members better than me.

DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DLM »

I've been selling intermodal out of Western Michigan for 30 years. The only ramp I can recall was the C&O ramp on the east end of their yard which was long out of service by then. Amway never had a ramp to my knowledge. Amway invited me to a meeting about 25 years ago as they looked at building one. I told them it would increase their intermodal costs while slowing down the transits.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Then the only thing I can think of was the 3rd car had a defect of some sort and they set out all 3 on the siding at Amway. (The passing siding, not the siding into the plant).