DT&I Tecumseh branch questions

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

DT&I Tecumseh branch questions

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I have a few questions regarding one time customers of the DT&I Tecumseh Branch (or "Old Line" if you prefer) that have come up while researching car usage/customers from the collection of switch lists that I have. My collection of lists are from the 1972-76 time period, so the branch was intact to Adrian and GM/Fisher Body (near Adrian) and Campbell's Soup (Napoleon OH) were the two largest of many customers along the line.

1. What did Fisher/GM make? All my lists just list outbound loads of "auto parts" that were interchanged at many points along the DT&I. With the outbound loads being carried in 60" cars like this B&O example [url]http://rr-fallenflags.org/bo/bo488034jpa.jpg[url] I know that it would be something "heavier" than what an 86' hi-cube would carry. Inbound they also received cars carrying "auto parts" and "pads". My first thought is that they assembled dashboards, but I'm not sure.
2. There was also a customer that shipped outbound loads of what was listed as "shot". What I'm presuming this to be was industrial metal shot for blasting/peening operations. Unfortunately, my cards only show this as loads on the train that took the cars from north of Napoleon & Napoleon proper down to the yard at Malinta, so I don't know where those cars originated from. To me it's more likely that it was a customer in Adrian than Wauseon - but if anyone has any clarification/confirmation it'd be appreciated.
3. Like #2, there was a customer that shipped outbound loads of what was called "pumice". Again, I'd assume that this was for industrial abrasive/cleaning purposes and again I'd assume that they originated in Adrian.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Macowiec
Railroadfan...fan

Re: DT&I Tecumseh branch questions

Unread post by Macowiec »

Fisher Body in Tecumseh was an upholstery trim plant. My dad worked there from the time it opened in 1965 until the time it was closed.

They cut and sewed upholstery for car seats, side panels, dashboards.

I'm not entirely clear how loads/empties worked at the plant, as there was also a large truck operation. On a tour as a kid, I remember 50' boxcars at the loading docks (initially there were two sidings into the plant, later cut back to 1) and parts bin on the loading dock.

The plant was at some point transferred from Fisher Body to the Inland Division, and closed in 1987. Rail service, however, ended about 1983.
SMRS 1982-88, IHRC 1989-90, KJRY 1991-94, UP 1994-2000

Publisher of Tecumsehjunction.com

Full European rail booking on my site: polrail.com

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Thanks!

Macowiec
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Macowiec »

Something else—I've "heard", that when the Fisher Body plant first opened in 1965, traffic to/from the plant was interchanged with the NYC at Tecumseh for some time, due to the poor condition of the trestles on the DT&I between the plant and Adrian.

As a small child (I was born in '65), I can remember boxcars and a red caboose on the DT&I tracks behind the Tecumseh Acres elementary school, so there may be something to the story.

If anyone knows more, I'd love to hear...
SMRS 1982-88, IHRC 1989-90, KJRY 1991-94, UP 1994-2000

Publisher of Tecumsehjunction.com

Full European rail booking on my site: polrail.com