The Muskegon RR Historical Society's rolling stock

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

The Muskegon RR Historical Society's rolling stock

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

In assembling my notes on the C&O RoadRailers for an article I'm working on, I've found that I don't have any rough dates for when the rolling stock collection at Muskegon was dispersed from its old location at the Union Station. Does anyone recall which year that was? And while I'm asking, how about the year that they began assembling their collection?

From what I recall, the 5208 went to Coopersville, the RoadRailer to Sparta, and the PM caboose stayed at the Union Station. Did the ferry idler flats end up in Manistee, or did they go elsewhere?

So far, the only two C&O RoadRailers I know to be fully intact (complete with road gear) are at Sparta (from the former Muskegon collection) and at the B&O Museum in Baltimore. Anyone know of any others that aren't just a box body on the ground?

Thanks!
-Fritz Milhaupt

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Re: The Muskegon RR Historical Society's rolling stock

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

I have pictures of the roadraile in Muskegon that were taken in the spring of 1996. I don't remember exactly where it was located, but don't think it was by the depot. Also shot the switcher and caboose along with an AA boxcar. The switcher/caboose were painted blue & yellow, but did not have any lettering.

I remember seeing a roadrailer box at the depot in Garrett IN a few years ago, but I don't think it has wheels.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Re: The Muskegon RR Historical Society's rolling stock

Unread post by EWRice »

I have forwarded your questions to a friend of mine who I am certain has all the answers. I will keep you posted.