Air Pressure

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Stinger4me
Railroadfan...fan

Air Pressure

Unread post by Stinger4me »

If anybody can answer this question, Has the air brake pressure for passenger trains and freight trains always been the same? I seem to recall freight trains using 72 lbs. of air to release the brakes. This was back about '67 or '68. Am I hallucinating?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Air Pressure

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Passenger trains use 110 lbs and freight trains use 90 lbs. A typical freight train needs at least 75 lbs of air pressure in the brake pipe before conducting a brake test, according to the FRA.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

In the past pressures were indeed lower. Don't quote me on dates but at one time passenger was 90 and freight was 75-80, I think sometime before the 50's perhaps back in the 30's. A lot of older switcher locomotives will not go above 90 PSI on the brake pipe without modifications to the brake valves. I know a certain 44 tonner that won't go above 95 PSI screwed all the way in, that is a 14L brake system.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

barnstormer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by barnstormer »

SD80MAC wrote:Passenger trains use 110 lbs and freight trains use 90 lbs. A typical freight train needs at least 75 lbs of air pressure in the brake pipe before conducting a brake test, according to the FRA.
That is really close....To perform a class one/transfer brake test, the rear of the train (EOT or other air gauge) must be pumped up to within 15 lbs of the regulating valve on the head end locomotive, before the test can begin. Then the test may be performed, once a signal to start the test has been received, following other required protocol, such as verifying the amount of leakage, or having a 100% set of the brake on all cars, for compliance with the FRA power-brake law. that is why some of those 2-3 mile long trains don't do so well in such freezing temps.....takes FOREVER to get enough air just to do the test. (I once waited for 1 hr- 45 minutes to get my test completed on 220 cars!

-barny

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

SousaKerry wrote:I know a certain 44 tonner that won't go above 95 PSI screwed all the way in, that is a 14L brake system.
I know a certain 50 tonner that..... okay I'm better off not even starting.
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.