Whose Pilings are These?

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
SteveHiuzenga
Railroadfan...fan

Whose Pilings are These?

Unread post by SteveHiuzenga »

We have friends that have a cottage on the Betsie River, just southwest of Thompsonville. These pilings are right in front of their cabin, their driveway is the old railroad grade to these pilings....the road on the other side of the river is called 'Old Grade Road'. So whose are they? Bear Lake and Eastern perhaps?
IMG_6101 (2).JPG

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Re: Whose Pilings are These?

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Well pilings look a little too wide in the picture to have been part of a RR trestle. Maybe some other structure. At first I thought the Manistee and Northeastern RR as it ran thru the area. But the pilings look too old for that line as it was around till about 1931 in that area. So maybe if it is a RR your guess of the Bear Lake and Eastern may be correct as it was abandoned in 1902.

SteveHiuzenga
Railroadfan...fan

I thought they looked a tad wide as well...but there was a railroad through there...as i said, "Old grade road" is on the other side...complete with old crossbucks...and also on this side of the river is the same sign, even though the road on Google maps has a different name Holly drive)

Attached are photos of the area...the close up has the pilings circled...when the map was shot there was a lot of debris built up around the pilings, but as you can see in my original photo, that debris has been removed.
close up.JPG
map.JPG

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

6337583491_5c9f515e39_b.jpg
I found this photo posted by Don Harrison of a bridge on the NW MI Bear Lake & Eastern Railroad near Springdale Henry Copmish and Arcadia & Betsey River Railway. Perhaps this is your bridge or one like it in the area. If so this would explain the wide stance of the pilings.

aghudley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by aghudley »

The pilings are from the M&NE Betsie River Branch, constructed in 1900-01 from Betsie River Jcn, SW of Copemish, through Henry to section 19 or 20 (depending on the source) of Weldon Township, Benzie County. The branch was taken up in 1904. The attached map shows my hen scratchings of the area around Henry. Click on the image to see it more clearly.
Area around Henry, MI
Area around Henry, MI
I forgot a label. The yellow line is PM.

I had an interesting conversation last year with Mr. Meints, Mr. Hannum and Mr. Henry Burger about this area. My information comes from that conversation and from the sources below. The M&NE line shown from Lemon Lake to Henry was likely constructed after the original Betsie River Branch, but no documentation of when and why has turned up. It is shown on a 1910 M&NE blue print shared by Mr. Hannum but not on an 1899 engineering drawing shared by Mr. Burger.

Michigan Railroad Lines, Vol 1, Graydon M. Meints, (c) 2005, Michigan State University Press
Michigan Railroad Atlas, Vol 1 & 3, Graydon M. Meints, (c) 2017, Michigan State University Press
In the Pines - An Atlas of Michigan Logging Railroads, James S. Hannum, M.D., (c) 2017 Hannum House Press

The Meints books are available from Amazon.
The Hannum book will be available for reference from several northern Michigan libraries and historical museums and will be available for purchase only once, this Saturday (9-23-17) at the Michigan Railroad Historical Conference at Hope College in Holland. See you there.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

My grand pa has piles..............................

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

That was the polite name for them. :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Nice research and historical info; thanks guys.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

SteveHiuzenga
Railroadfan...fan

i agree....thanks so much...makes sense now too, cause the place was build right around the time the line would have been torn up.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SteveHiuzenga wrote:I thought they looked a tad wide as well...but there was a railroad through there...as i said, "Old grade road" is on the other side...complete with old crossbucks...and also on this side of the river is the same sign, even though the road on Google maps has a different name Holly drive)

Attached are photos of the area...the close up has the pilings circled...when the map was shot there was a lot of debris built up around the pilings, but as you can see in my original photo, that debris has been removed.
close up.JPG
map.JPG
Any pics of the crossbucks? The old ones are always of interest. The M&NE had a style unique to them and I've only seen pics of them.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)