Allegan

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Allegan

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Anyone have any details surrounding the setup of things near or around the interchange point in Allegan where the PM and the NYC came together? Where exactly was this located? I cannot seem to pinpoint it on a google maps search. My understanding was it was a switch since the PM didn't go beyond Allegan.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Allegan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

The topographic maps at historicaerials.com are an easy way to answer questions like this. In this case its a little tricky because there was a long spur into downtown Allegan, so its not clear if the PM ownership ended where the PM met this spur, or if PM ownership continued on to where the spur met the LSMS. I think PM and LSMS shared use of the spur but I don't remember for sure.

aghudley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by aghudley »

The links below will take you to digitized atlas pages from atlases in the UofM Digital Library. You can zoom in using controls on the page. You can also get a page as a PDF by changing the format from image to pdf.

Atlas of Allegan County Michigan, C. O. Titus, 1873 - Allegan North Part
Illustrated Atlas of Allegan County, Kace Publishing Company , 1895 - Allegan North Part
Standard atlas of Allegan County, Michigan, Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1913 - Allegan East Part

I have no problem finding the grades near the interchange using Google Earth, especially if you use the 1999 imagery.
Hopefully those will answer your questions. Explore those atlases. There is a lot of good information in them. The 1913 map shows some interesting trackage down town.

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

The trackage going downtown in 1913 goes to where the Perrigo Corporation has a plant. I believe that it was built in the 1920s. I am not sure what other industries were down there before then, One of the other customers in that neighborhood was, if I remember correctly, a coal dealer. The City of Allegan used to have a diesel plant to generate electricity. I suspect that the oil was probably delivered in tank cars. To the best of my recollection, the Michigan Central (ex CJ&M) was the first line to leave. I don't remember if the C&O or the NYC was the last. The death knell seemed to be the closing of the Rockwell plant.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

C&O left in 73 or 74, PC was done as of 4/1/76
What did Rockwell produce?

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

I think Rockwell produced major truck components...axles, rear ends, tranny parts. Parker Hannifin also had/has a plant there.
Perrigo used to get, back in the 1990's, bagged talc in boxcars at Bangor on the team track. Only cars I had ever seen spotted in Bangor when I was on the west end in the 90's. Next to the elevator on the east side of the main.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Jim_c wrote:The trackage going downtown in 1913 goes to where the Perrigo Corporation has a plant. I believe that it was built in the 1920s. I am not sure what other industries were down there before then, One of the other customers in that neighborhood was, if I remember correctly, a coal dealer. The City of Allegan used to have a diesel plant to generate electricity. I suspect that the oil was probably delivered in tank cars. To the best of my recollection, the Michigan Central (ex CJ&M) was the first line to leave. I don't remember if the C&O or the NYC was the last. The death knell seemed to be the closing of the Rockwell plant.
I had no idea the MC went to Allegan too...

The PC died a slow and painful death, considering the last train to Byron Center was just a few years prior in 74.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)