CN-IORY Autorack Interchange

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

CN-IORY Autorack Interchange

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

I was noticing in an old Trainorders thread from May of 2002, where someone listed every train they saw at Durand in over 24 hours, that there was a train, E258, that was listed as running from Battle Creek to the IORY at Flat Rock. Now, usually E series trains, at least nowadays around Michigan, are autoracks or mostly autoracks. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but would I be right in assuming that CN used to interchange entire trains of mostly, if not all, autoracks? When did this end? And were these empties for an assembly plant on the IORY system, or were these loads for distributing somewhere in Ohio? Here's the thread I was talking about if anyones interested. The train I'm referencing was at 7:21am.
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/ ... p?5,571749

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: CN-IORY Autorack Interchange

Unread post by AARR »

Up until around 2006 CN interchanged GM vehicle traffic with IORY who forwarded those cars to CSX in Cinncy, Queensgate Yard (IIRC). Around 2006 the GM traffic was shifted to CSX in Toledo.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Re: CN-IORY Autorack Interchange

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

AARR wrote:Up until around 2006 CN interchanged GM vehicle traffic with IORY who forwarded those cars to CSX in Cinncy, Queensgate Yard (IIRC). Around 2006 the GM traffic was shifted to CSX in Toledo.
Cool, so I take it that the long strings of autoracks I see on almost every 502, who goes to Toledo, is what used to be the IORY traffic then. Thank you for explaining!