Is Anybody Up for another Road Rally (DBC&W/DC&S)

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Is Anybody Up for another Road Rally (DBC&W/DC&S)

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

It's been a while since we had a road rally, especially one following the route of the Detroit, Bay City & Western, and its successor, the Detroit, Caro & Sandusky. Over the past several years, I've personally heard from several people who were not part of those trips, as well as some who were, that they'd like to do some or all of those trips (again).

One of the guys who didn't get to go the first time around has taken it upon himself to plan and hold a 2-part Road Rally that will look at the eastern 2/3's or so of the line.

The first part, to be held this September (date still to be determined) starting in either Sandusky, or near Akron, and following the line toward the other point named above. Among other things, Mr. Rauli is working to get access to the diamond site at Wilmont, something neither the first DBC&W/DC&S trips had, nor did the following PO&N trip.

The second trip, to be held in the Spring of 2018 (again, the date is still to be determined), will start at Sandusky and work toward Port Huron. Personally, I missed the east end trip the first time around, but I've been told this trip will feature a new water stop near Roseburg, the trestle site near Ruby and will wrap up at the Port Huron and Detroit Railroad Historical Society's facility in Port Huron Township.

At this point some of the details still need to be worked out, including dates. A date should be decided upon soon, and will be announced as soon as possible at that point. We are looking for an idea as to how many people might be interested in participating in the event. For those not able to post on this board, similar announcements will be made on the michiganrailroads.com RRHX History board and Facebook (there's a DBC&W/DC&S page, if I recall correctly, where this announcement will be posted).

Thank you for your interest.

Will Rauli, Rail Rally Adventures
GTW 6322 at Gmail dot com

P.S. Billy can't access his account on this board, so I'm posting the information for him. As far as I am aware, Billy's taken the initiative on this one and (with some help) this should be just as much fun and educational as the rallies David C. hosted in years past.
-Charles W., aka GreatLakesRailfan
~ Charles W.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Is Anybody Up for another Road Rally (DBC&W/DC&S)

Unread post by AARR »

I'm interested
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

I'd be interested, assuming there's no U-M football game being played at the same time. :D
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

You can listen to them on the radio and fossil hunt with us :)
blueheron13 wrote:I'd be interested, assuming there's no U-M football game being played at the same time. :D
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

blueheron13 wrote:I'd be interested, assuming there's no U-M football game being played at the same time. :D
You wouldn't happen to have a list of the home game dates this fall, would you? I think we're going to discuss dates in a couple weeks, following the PH&D August board meeting, it would be nice to have something to reference at that point. I'm also pretty sure hobofest is the 2nd weekend in September, at the PH&D RRHS property. I'm thinking we're going to try to avoid it, but... I've been wrong before.
~ Charles W.

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

I'm interested as well.
Owosso Steve

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

You wouldn't happen to have a list of the home game dates this fall, would you? I think we're going to discuss dates in a couple weeks, following the PH&D August board meeting, it would be nice to have something to reference at that point. I'm also pretty sure hobofest is the 2nd weekend in September, at the PH&D RRHS property. I'm thinking we're going to try to avoid it, but... I've been wrong before.
Below is the schedule. The 6 home games are on Sept 9 (Cincinnati at 12:00 PM); Sept 16 (Air Force at 12:00 PM); Oct 7 (MSU, time TBD but strongly rumored to be a night game, TV networks will decide later); Oct 28 (Rutgers, 12:00 PM); Nov 4 (Minnesota, time TBD); and Nov 25 (OSU, 12:00 PM):

Image from MDen
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.