Railroad terminology

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Captain Glen
Railroadfan...fan

Railroad terminology

Unread post by Captain Glen »

I have been through dozens of railroad terminology dictionaries and glossaries and am comfortable with most terms but one keeps me baffled: the term movement. It always seems to be used in reference to control points such as switches or signals and special maneuvers such as backing, coupling or sawback passing. It never seems to be used for the general motion of a train especially on a main line track. Can anyone clear up my confusion?

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Re: Railroad terminology

Unread post by trnwatcher »

I'VE HEARD IT USED IN REGARDS TO ENTIRE TRAINS OR CONSISTS. HIGH/WIDE LOADS ARE USUALLY REFERRED TO AS MOVEMENTS. SAME WITH BULK COMMODITY TRAINS. USED TO HEAR CONRAIL DISPATCHERS REFER TO POWER MOVEMENTS FROM ONE TERMINAL TO ANOTHER TO GET LOCOMOTIVES TO WHERE THEY ARE MOST NEEDED. IT PROBABLY ALSO VARIES FROM RR TO RR. THEY EACH HAVE THEIR OWN CORPORATE LINGO.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

Atkinson_Railroad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Atkinson_Railroad »

The Sixth Edition of The Car and Locomotive Cyclopedia of American Practice published in 1997 does mention a "Conflicting Movement".

There are no entries related to "movement" in earlier editions of Simmons-Boardman cyclopedias.

John
Attachments
MOVEMENT(S).JPG

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Most movements on a railroad take place in the short hood... :lol:
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Movement is not a term exclusive to railroads. It's a noun meaning the act of moving from one place to another.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

SousaKerry wrote:Most movements on a railroad take place in the short hood... :lol:

Awe come on not even a snicker that was comedy gold right there..

For the slow learners at the back, the short hood is where the toilet is typically located in a locomotive.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

You have to admit, as jokes go, that one is kind of a stinker. :mrgreen:

barnstormer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by barnstormer »

SousaKerry wrote:Most movements on a railroad take place in the short hood... :lol:
Dan Cluley wrote:You have to admit, as jokes go, that one is kind of a stinker. :mrgreen:
Just remember to keep that stuff on the second unit!

-barny