Tracing distances on old ROW's

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Tracing distances on old ROW's

Unread post by MQT1223 »

So what is the best way to trace a ROW on something like google maps while also being able to record the distances from start to finish?

Trying to trace the EJ&S to pinpoint specific locations on the ROW along with the distances.

Trying to trace something on programs designed for roads also doesnt' seem to work well.

Any suggestions?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Tracing distances on old ROW's

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Using Google Maps' "my maps' feature allows you to create your own likes which are measured as part of their creation. Make sure you're signed into google when you view maps and toggle my places.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I answered this for you last month MQT1223: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=34640&p=373268&hilit=crow#p373268
Lolz, mqt3001 and I were just chatting about this situation earlier today and you posted about it again :)
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

aghudley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by aghudley »

My personal preference is to use Google earth to trace grades for numerous reasons, including the following:

1. Multiple vintages of aerial imagery some of which is black and white that I believe may be from infra-red imagery, making the grades stand out much better.
2. You can zoom in much further than on Google Maps. If you zoom to far, it will take you to street view. You can exit street view and adjust your angle of view accordingly.
3. It is much easier to draw and edit paths than in Google Maps. There is much better selection and control of line color, width, etc.
4. You can see how long the path is that you are drawing while you draw it. As you draw the path, you can easily save it at a known location (such as a mile marker), place a marker on your path at that location, then reselect the path and continue adding to it.
5. Measurements either while drawing a path or using the ruler are much more flexible. You can measure straight line distances, paths, and much more in various units. I will often draw a path from beginning to end, then retrace it with the ruler tool
6. Organizing the data into folders (layers), folders within folders is much more flexible in Google Earth. I typically put my paths in one folder, place marks in a second folder and perhaps milepost placemarks in a third folder. Basically, you decide how to organize your project(s), not Google. You can copy an item or a folder from one "project" and paste it into another. There is also a way to link these things so you only have one copy to edit, but I haven't tried that yet. I really need to.
7. You can turn the display of folders (layers) or individual items on or off.
8. Google earth saves your Places in a folder on your PC for you. You can save (Save Place As) a folder containing other folders containing your data as a .KML or .KMZ file and share it with others in its raw form (not an image). Anyone you share it with can open the file in Google earth and see what you saw. You can also import it (.KML) it into Google Maps mymaps if you like. Google Maps saves your files on their servers which gives you the advantage of editing them from different computers, but saving a project to a thumb drive and opening it on a different PC works just as well. You have to remember to save it again. You can even save it using a different name (say with a date) and keep multiple versions of the same project if you like. Your limit is the size of your hard drive and the amount of memory you computer has, not the space limitations that Google Maps sets.

I could go on and on, as Google earth is a far more powerful tool than maps.google.com/mymaps. The learning curve is steeper on Google earth, but I find the benefits are far more rewarding.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

~Z~ wrote:I answered this for you last month MQT1223: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=34640&p=373268&hilit=crow#p373268
Lolz, mqt3001 and I were just chatting about this situation earlier today and you posted about it again :)
I don't remember that last thread, however I replied with a dick statement to your chat yesterday.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)