Kent Lake

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Kent Lake

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

I figured of all the people on the interweb you all would be able to help me out.

I am looking for pictures, maps, and other information on the Michigan Air Line at Kent lake, particularly the quarry operations.

Also pictures, maps and info on the quarry operations near where the NYC crossed the GT near Rochester.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Kent Lake

Unread post by Michael »

Are you talking about the gravel pits in what is now Island Lake State Recreation Area near Green Oak?

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

That is exactly what I am talking about. The Airline went right by there. There were also gravel pits in Rochester south east of where the New York Central and GT crossed. I saw an arial picture of it but I was hoping someone had pictures or a track layout of either operation.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Either at this website or at MichiganRailroads.com there is a picture of this gravel pit and a map of the track arrangement. I doubt I'd be able to find it, though. IIRC it was about 1 mile east of the Rochester crossing and both railroads switched it.
wagnew0923 wrote:There were also gravel pits in Rochester south east of where the New York Central and GT crossed. I saw an arial picture of it but I was hoping someone had pictures or a track layout of either operation.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

The MAL did go near there but it believe it was the PM and C&O that serviced the gravel pits near Green Oak

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

AARR, what is meant by IIRC.

On the topo map where would I 94 be. I am trying to get a point of reference before I explore the area.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

If I Recall Correctly

I think you mean I 96. Look on google earth to see how I-96 relates to other physical features you can see on the topo map

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Wow, that looks like it was quite an operation! Never heard of it before. The spur looks to be about two miles long.

You can find some aerials here: https://historicaerials.com/viewer if you search Green Oak MI

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Thank you all for the information. I hope some day to find pictures of these operations.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

I am not sure about any rail related artifacts being left but plenty of mining artifacts left according to the Green Oak Township plan to clean up the site
http://www.greenoaktwp.com/12_02_2015.pdf
This is 2 years old but it states that American Aggregates left the site in "total disarray".