Minor head on collision at Fuller Jct.

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Minor head on collision at Fuller Jct.

Unread post by MQT1223 »

A City of Grand Rapids worker, happened to catch me railfanning the GRE on Friday and watched the 3885 go by with 6 hoppers bound for the Ann St. Yard. We talked for a bit about how he liked trains and such and he happened to ask about a minor incident that occurred between the C&O and GT at Fuller Jct. back in the day.

He showed me images of a GT steamer that met a C&O BL-2 at the diamond. The GT was westbound pulling freight and the C&O was southbound with a short passenger train. Says he tried doing some research and couldn't find anything regarding a minor head on there. However he does recall that the reason for the collision was because the GT ran a red signal and hit the BL-2 at a somewhat slow rate of speed (photos had some explanation but no date).

Anyone care to help fill in the blanks on this?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Re: Minor head on collision at Fuller Jct.

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

Have had that newspaper article and photo here for almost 60 years, but do you think I can find it now? I was thinking it was 1952 but if not, very close to that.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Max, did he have hard copies of the photos or did he show them to you on his phone?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:Max, did he have hard copies of the photos or did he show them to you on his phone?
On his phone. Sounds like you've ran into this guy before?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

kenN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kenN »

C&O-GT Mtg 2-7-54.JPG
Is the incident he showed you? This scan is from Charles Foss' Grand Trunk book "Evening Before the Diesel", page 437. The ICC report is on the facing page, 436. Here's a summary in my own words:

February 7, 1954: GT 2-8-2 #3752 had backed into the interchange yard west of the crossing to make a setout. While that was going on, the operator moved the crossing gate to permit C&O BL2 #82 with its train to head south, which he proceeded to do. Meanwhile, the 3753 came east, light (without any cars), didn't notice that the gate was now lined against him, and #82 struck the GT engine broadside on the diamond. The impact lifted the 3752 about five feet in the air, and knocked it about 10 feet off the tracks to the south; #82 climbed the side of the 3752 several feet before both engines finally came to a stop. Both engines were slightly damaged: main and eccentric rods of the steamer were bent; the lead truck of #82 was derailed. No injuries, but the crossing gate was demolished. KJN

PS: A close-up picture of #82 after the wreck appears on page 27 of John Paton's softcover book "Chesapeake & Ohio BL2 Diesels"

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

That's it.