Ottawa Yard

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Ottawa Yard

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

How much was the current Ottawa Yard changed from its pre Michigan Interstate days? From the 1970-ish photos, they look nothing alike. Is there a track diagram from the previous one anywhere?
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Ottawa Yard

Unread post by AARR »

I believe when they built the Jeep plant Ottawa Yard was expanded. They also use the yard to the south, Manhattan Yard IIRC. My understanding is Ottawa Yard can get pretty cramped some days with the additional lines AA picked up from NS.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks Don. Right off hand, more have they gained? I assume just small switching stubs....

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I don't know the names of the track segment (all ex-NS) but they picked up a handful of customers that generate I would guess around 1500-2000 cars a year
MIGN-Todd wrote:Thanks Don. Right off hand, more have they gained? I assume just small switching stubs....
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Have not found anything regarding the older version of the yard other than the fact that the new version seemed to be a lot cleaner than it was. All the old versions I've seen were weed strewn and dirty.

Henry F. Burger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Henry F. Burger »

Basically the trackage referred to as the Cherry Street Main and it Wye track leading into the old Jeep plant was removed. A transfer track which ran from the Toledo Terminal Transfer to connect the Ann Arbor West bound main was removed to allow for the construction of the automobile / truck loading tracks. This area east of the Ann Arbor RR mains held the tracks for Pere Marquette and the Pennsylvania Railroads.
If you look at the Map page Section of the http://www.trainweb.org/annarbor/ then look at the interlocking page it will give a better idea of the area layout.

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

AA's lease is of the Cherry Street Branch and the Galena Yard Track. About four miles total. Customers include the Libbey Glass factory, plus whatever is left on the track that runs parallel to and on the north side of the Maumee River. There is an alfalfa mill down there, and the Toledo Blade used to get boxcars of paper at its warehouse at the very end of the track, although I don't know if there is any business there anymore since the Blade switched its printing to Sterling Heights. Car count was projected to be 925 annually combined on the two lines.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

As part of building the Jeep plant, some of the former yard was "repurposed" for building the Chrysler Drive roadway that is immediately west of the yard.