Palmer MI

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MMRR-24
Shortline Fan

Palmer MI

Unread post by MMRR-24 »

Lived in Palmer MI right by the empire mine last year and noticed that there were multiple lines in and around town that were definitely abandoned long ago. RIght next to town was what looked to be a double track main but I'm not sure. there also was a old smelter nearby the tracks in the woods. Smokestack was still intact but nothing else. I looked on google and the Palmer library, and the CNW historical society ( I Think that's who owned the tracks) and just was curious to when the lines were abandoned and if Palmer had a passenger station at one time. Any info would be appreciated.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Palmer MI

Unread post by AARR »

Many years ago there was a web of rails around the Palmer area that would rival the rail networks in big cities. It was hard to tell whose line was whose back then.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

A lot of the old roadbeds and even a segment of M35 is under all the piles of overburden and tailings from both Empire and Tilden. The previous mines were small holes and shafts compared to those massive pits and tailing mountains there today.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MMRR-24
Shortline Fan

Unread post by MMRR-24 »

Saturnalia wrote:A lot of the old roadbeds and even a segment of M35 is under all the piles of overburden and tailings from both Empire and Tilden. The previous mines were small holes and shafts compared to those massive pits and tailing mountains there today.
Yeah there's alot in the backwoods heading towards cascade. Wanted to check them out but didn't want to get stuck in one lol. Not to mention most were flooded. Really cool. Find all sorts of things in the woods. Wish I made it up to keenawaw. Heard there's a lot of old rail relics still standing just left abandoned.

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

Tracks ran off from Cnw north of the Ki Sawyer. Went west through Palmer and tied into what is now the Mineral Range on the west side of the Tilden. When the Tilden was built in the late 50s, Scllion Sr had the LS&I built to parallel the CNW so they could not have access to the Tilden. Look at http://historicaerials.com, and you can see the transformation at the Tilden, Empire, and the wye at Empire Jct as the Tracy mine was in use.

MMRR-24
Shortline Fan

Unread post by MMRR-24 »

thanks. Cool site