Steam through Belleville

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Steam through Belleville

Unread post by EWRice »

Back in the early to mid 1990s, my family took a trip to Belleville to visit some friends. As I was lying in bed, maybe 10pm or so, I heard a steam whistle off in the distance. I ran out and told my dad, who thought I was dreaming. Then he heard it too. So of coarse we jumped in the car and drove down to the closest crossing, just in time to watch a decent sized steamer roll through, and at a pretty good clip. I was young enough to not remember what engine it was and my dad probably didn't care at the time. The question has come up multiple times over the years; what engine was that? I think it was around '94, but could have been as late as '96, or as early as '91. I know it was summer.
Any ideas? I may be able to narrow down the year if I talk to my mother.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: Steam through Bellevill

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

1991: July 13 & 14 1218 Detroit to Ft. Wayne (The trip on the 13th was delayed when one of the cars went bad-order and had to be set out at Montpelier.)
That would fit a late return, quoted from the above thread
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Steam through Belleville

Unread post by EWRice »

Well, I believe we narrowed it down to NKP 587. My mother swears it was '91, but my dad says we drove his '93 truck and he specifically remembers a large dome on the loco. I found some videos of all all three engines from those trips. 587 has the whistle I remember and a large dome. Good enough for me. Thanks for the info.