Roundhouses in Grand Rapids

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Roundhouses in Grand Rapids

Unread post by MQT1223 »

So looking at old photos it's clear to me that the PRR had a roundhouse in downtown GR and the PM/C&O was obviously in their yard.

Did the NYC and its predecessors the LS&MS and MC along with the GT have roundhouses in GR and where were they located if they did?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: Roundhouses in Grand Rapids

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

GT had an engine facility at Plainfield & Leonard. I need to do a little looking but I think there was a 2 or 3 stall there at one time. It was a chain link fence at the end:(

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

NYCs was under the Burton St overpass IIRC. I think it was torn down in the early 90s.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SD80MAC wrote:NYCs was under the Burton St overpass IIRC. I think it was torn down in the early 90s.
Seems like a small engine house to be there...
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Check out the historicaerials.com website and you can see the roundhouses there in the older images

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

The NYC roundhouse sat on the east side of the yards south of Franklin St. It was raised in the late 80's IIRC. The PRR roundhouse sat on what is now US-131 along Century on the west side of the yard. The PRR roundhouse was torn down for the highway and the Penn Central consolidation. The GTW did have a small 3-4 stall roundhouse that sat about 1/2 block SE of Plainfield and Leonard. It was torn down in the late 70's or early 80's IIRC. LS&MS roundhouse was on the west side under what is now the GVSU campus. It was long gone before I came around... :)
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

aadti
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by aadti »

Pere Marquette had 2 roundhouses in Grand Rapids at one time. The one at Wyoming yard and they had one a long time ago at Hall St. and Buchanan
Grand Trunk had a 2 or 3 stall roundhouse just south of Leonard St and east of Plainfield ( No turntable however)
PRR Was in the old yard area between Franklin and Hall near Century Ave ( US-131 now)
NYC/MC was just south of Franklin near Buchanan Ave
LSMS was near Lexington & Butterworth.

I think that covers it.

Mark Baldwin
Mark