Ann Arbor Historical Society

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Ann Arbor Historical Society

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

Since I'm retired now my wife says she won't learn to throw grenades at me so, I should find a hobby instead..... went down to the Hobby shop in Traverse City and was surprised to find a couple of copies of the "Double A" from the Historical Association. I didn't nose through it, just grabbed it. I wasn't happy about the price at checkout $24 :shock: but, it was a double issue. I was really impressed by the quality of the newsletter. Excellent information, excellent photographs and printed on top notch paper. Had I nosed through it I may not have bought it due to the fact that this double issue was mainly about the steam days in Ann Arbor itself and I'm not a fan of that era. However I did read through quite a bit and despite the fact that it was of an older era I did find everything quite interesting and helped me to understand the AA a little more. If any of you are interested in the Annie, I highly recommend picking up a subscription or joining the society. I will tell the Wife that joining is something I'd like for Christmas and she'll make it happen. If their steam kept this diesel guy going, it has to be good. I'm Mign-Todd and I approve this message...... :mrgreen:
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Ann Arbor Historical Society

Unread post by AARR »

I'm a member since around 1990. Dave Harrell is the president and Don Maddock the editor. The Double A is published twice a year, high quality (coated paper) and vastly informative.

The last issue was about the city of Ann Arbor, it's history and customers broken down by each block.

The organization also produces a high quality calendar.

Membership is $25-$30 annually (IIRC) and well worth the value from the bi-annual publication alone.

Check out the website which is also well-done, http://www.trainweb.org/annarbor/.

I also encourage getting all the past issues (on CD IIRC). You'll be pleased with all the information this group has acquired and preserved.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Ann Arbor Historical Society

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

Thanks Don and I will move forward on this...... I've heard you going on about it for years and never thought to look into it. I'm not a fan of the webpage though. - Maybe it's because I'm not a member yet and I'm not authorized access to all of it.
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)