Caboose in Elk Rapids?

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Caboose in Elk Rapids?

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Am I correct that there used to be a caboose in between 31 & Elk Lake?

My memory is that it was a little bank branch, maybe the same bank that had the passenger cars at the depot in Traverse City?

I haven't found any pictures and there didn't seem to be any sign of it when I was up there a few weeks ago.

Any pics or info about this would be appreciated.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Re: Caboose in Elk Rapids?

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Well there used to be a branch line from Williamsburg to Elk Rapids and it pass between US-31 and Elk Lake.

I vaguely remember see the caboose but it may have been replaced by the giant swan that is on or near the row.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

I think the swan and the chamber office were already there. If I am reading the maps right, the ROW crosses to the West side of 31 south of the swan, but I'm not sure if the caboose was actually on the ROW or not.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Wow. This thread brought back some memories.

I believe you are right DC, there was a cab parked at the Michigan National Bank office. The main office for MNB in TC was the former PM passenger station had a caboose and box car on site.

I do not think the caboose was near where the Chamber of Commerce Office is now (with the swan). I seem to recall that the MNB office was on the North side of the River/ Elk Lake. I think there is a Real Estate office on the corner now.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

I was talking to somebody else a while ago, and they thought they remembered this as well, but thought it was farther south. Maybe even down by Acme.

So, pretty sure it existed, just haven't found any details.