GTW Pontiac

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

GTW Pontiac

Unread post by hoborich »

I used to work at the old Johnson Ave yard in Pontiac back in the late 60s. It was a busy place back then, with Pontiac motors, doing two shifts, GM Truck and Coach, Sam Allen scrap, three commuters each way, the Jackson local Mon thru Fri, the PO&N local several times a week, and many road trains setting off and picking up. Was by there a year ago, and the old yard office is gone. What goes on at Pontiac these days, if anything? Thanks.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: GTW Pontiac

Unread post by AARR »

There's a Pontiac-Warren Local (turns north at Milwaukee Jct.). There might be a yard job that switches a handful of local industries including the scrap yard on the PO&N, the stamping plant (once a week on Wednesday), a lumber transload on the beltline (small), Inland Plywood still gets a car now and then, and north there are a few customers including lumber, autorack repair facility and landscaping aggregates.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Locals

513. Evening Pontiac Yard job Monday thru Friday.

514. Flint to Pontiac to Flint transfer at night.

515. Pontiac to south end of Mt Clemens Sub / Nolan Yard.

950. Holly Sub local. Pontiac to East Yard. Works Royal Oak Wastepaper, Gage, All American, Metro ( if still shipping ), Sterling Oil. Interchanges cars with Conrail and Detroit Connecting RR at East Yard.

Road Trains

391 makes a pickup every night.

116 and 502 work the yard.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:Locals

513. Evening Pontiac Yard job Monday thru Friday.

514. Flint to Pontiac to Flint transfer at night.

515. Pontiac to south end of Mt Clemens Sub / Nolan Yard.

950. Holly Sub local. Pontiac to East Yard. Works Royal Oak Wastepaper, Gage, All American, Metro ( if still shipping ), Sterling Oil. Interchanges cars with Conrail and Detroit Connecting RR at East Yard.

Road Trains

391 makes a pickup every night.

116 and 502 work the yard.
How far does 513 run, or does it just stay in the yard?

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Thanks guys.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

513 works around Pontiac. They switch the yard, Inland Plywood, and work the Beltline to switch GM Metal Stamping (on Wednesdays), Ferrous Scrap, and the Lumber Distribution. They will switch Red Lava in Waterford if 514 does not.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:513 works around Pontiac. They switch the yard, Inland Plywood, and work the Beltline to switch GM Metal Stamping (on Wednesdays), Ferrous Scrap, and the Lumber Distribution. They will switch Red Lava in Waterford if 514 does not.
Ahh, ok. Thanks!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Inland Plywood and the lumber transload (I think it's for Church's Lumber) don't seem to get cars very often. And for as big as the Ferrous place is they don't get a lot of rail cars.
ConrailDetr​oit wrote:513 works around Pontiac. They switch the yard, Inland Plywood, and work the Beltline to switch GM Metal Stamping (on Wednesdays), Ferrous Scrap, and the Lumber Distribution. They will switch Red Lava in Waterford if 514 does not.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...