What Happened to the CSX in Flint MI?

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)

What Happened to the CSX in Flint MI?

Unread postby CSXBOY » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:31 am

One day I was exploring on google maps in Flint I went back to 2008 and there was a stretch of double track on the CSX Saginaw sub in Flint MI. Then I go into October 2015 and I can see one of the tracks in a horrible sight: CSX Was getting rid one of the track.


Why did CSX do this?

How Many CSX trains are there in a day in Flint MI?

Thanks

Graeme Case
CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:07 pm
Location: Just north of the CSX Detroit sub

Re: What Happened to the CSX in Flint MI?

Unread postby Saturnalia » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:34 am

The auto industry rolled over and died in Flint.

Thus, second track not needed, and it was removed in 2014 IIRC.
User avatar
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat
 
Posts: 13880
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:54 pm
Location: Michigan's Copper Country

Re: What Happened to the CSX in Flint MI?

Unread postby M.D.Bentley » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:36 am

Blame the water ! :D
User avatar
M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 2397
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 4:41 pm
Location: Downriver

Re: What Happened to the CSX in Flint MI?

Unread postby CSXBOY » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:07 am

Saturnalia wrote:The auto industry rolled over and died in Flint.

Thus, second track not needed, and it was removed in 2014 IIRC.



Thats too bad because There are some CN trains that used to go through there right?
CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:07 pm
Location: Just north of the CSX Detroit sub

Re: What Happened to the CSX in Flint MI?

Unread postby BDG » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:19 am

CSXBOY wrote:
Saturnalia wrote:The auto industry rolled over and died in Flint.

Thus, second track not needed, and it was removed in 2014 IIRC.



Thats too bad because There are some CN trains that used to go through there right?

CN still sees alot of traffic because it is the main line between Canada and Chicago. They also service the last major auto factory in Flint (the truck plant on Van Slyke).
BDG
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:18 pm

Re: What Happened to the CSX in Flint MI?

Unread postby AARR » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:20 pm

CN also services the GM Distribution Center on their old main line in Swartz Creek
BDG wrote:
CSXBOY wrote:
Saturnalia wrote:The auto industry rolled over and died in Flint.

Thus, second track not needed, and it was removed in 2014 IIRC.



Thats too bad because There are some CN trains that used to go through there right?

CN still sees alot of traffic because it is the main line between Canada and Chicago. They also service the last major auto factory in Flint (the truck plant on Van Slyke).
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...
User avatar
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd
 
Posts: 32004
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:39 pm
Location: Washington, MI

Re: What Happened to the CSX in Flint MI?

Unread postby BamaSubdivision94 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:29 pm

Saturnalia wrote:The auto industry rolled over and died in Flint.

Thus, second track not needed, and it was removed in 2014 IIRC.
The second main was ripped up in mid-late 2013.

CSX traffic in Flint consists of about 4-6 trains, 8 trains tops, on a really good day.

Not including coal and grain trains, there's the local to Port Huron (D710) and the much more elusive one to Holly (D737) which only operates on Fridays as well as the only pair of regularly scheduled road trains to/from Toledo in Q321 and Q322. LSRC adds to the action with Z127 and Z144 (as well as their northbound counterparts) but otherwise, that's about all there is on CSX in Flint these days.

Speaking from experience, the best day to fan CSX in Flint would be Friday, specifically Friday afternoon. 3 winters ago, the mom and I saw D737, D710 and Q321 roughly all within an hour; the busiest we've ever seen CSX in Flint since we started fanning there.
BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: What Happened to the CSX in Flint MI?

Unread postby BamaSubdivision94 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:03 pm

The reason CSX hasn't pull out of Flint from what I hear is due to how lucrative the grain, coal and chemical traffic is, especially the former which is the bottom line of CSX's Michigan operations these days.
BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: What Happened to the CSX in Flint MI?

Unread postby GreatLakesRailfan » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:09 pm

BamaSubdivision94 wrote:The reason CSX hasn't pull out of Flint from what I hear is due to how lucrative the grain, coal and chemical traffic is, especially the former which is the bottom line of CSX's Michigan operations these days.


I can't remember who it was I heard from, but supposedly the chemical traffic on the ex-PH&D is quite profitable for CSX. Enough so to justify keeping the line despite how isolated it is. I'd be mildly surprised to see CSX give up the line north of Plymouth as all it really is anymore is a feeder. With the exception of the ex-PH&D, they're not doing any of the work to deliver the cars, other than swapping trains (more or less) with the company who then delivers the cars. Less risk and lower labor costs = more profit, and that's what really matters in the end.
GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 4713
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:28 am
Location: Marysville, Michigan

Re: What Happened to the CSX in Flint MI?

Unread postby AARR » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:27 pm

Chemicals go to Dow in Midland and LPG to a pair of storage facilities in Marysville and St. Clair respectively.
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:
BamaSubdivision94 wrote:The reason CSX hasn't pull out of Flint from what I hear is due to how lucrative the grain, coal and chemical traffic is, especially the former which is the bottom line of CSX's Michigan operations these days.


I can't remember who it was I heard from, but supposedly the chemical traffic on the ex-PH&D is quite profitable for CSX. Enough so to justify keeping the line despite how isolated it is. I'd be mildly surprised to see CSX give up the line north of Plymouth as all it really is anymore is a feeder. With the exception of the ex-PH&D, they're not doing any of the work to deliver the cars, other than swapping trains (more or less) with the company who then delivers the cars. Less risk and lower labor costs = more profit, and that's what really matters in the end.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...
User avatar
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd
 
Posts: 32004
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:39 pm
Location: Washington, MI


Return to Historical Q & A

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron

x