Pennsylvania RR Historical Society

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
GreatNorthern84
Railroadfan...fan

Pennsylvania RR Historical Society

Unread post by GreatNorthern84 »

Good morning!

I am looking to see if anyone can give me some guidance on donating a few items to a PRR historical society?

At present I have a fair quantity of train sheets complete with 19 and 31 forms from the old RK tower that was located in Sturgis, MI on the GR & I.

Probably not of huge historical interest, but certainly a bit of a time machine!

Please advise!

Thank you,

Michael

kenN
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Pennsylvania RR Historical Society

Unread post by kenN »

There is a GR&I Historical society. A friend of mine is involved; let me get in touch with him and let you know. KJN

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

GN, what years are the RK tower sheets from? A retired CSX engineer who in the early to mid 60's was at RK with the Pennsy before he started with the C&O may be on the sheets. I know he would get a kick out of knowing they're still around.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

The PRR Technical and Historical Society is based in PA (obviously) and I believe is a repository of RR documents and some records. I wonder if the GR&I historical group might be more relevant given geographic proximity? According to PRRTHS website, there is a GR&I chapter, so maybe these are one and the same group. There's also a historical group in the former GR&I/PRR depot just up the tracks in Vicksburg but I think it's a Vicksburg based group. Might be worth reaching out to, however.

PRRTHS: http://www.prrths.com/
Local chapters: http://www.prrths.com/newprr_files/newP ... apters.htm

kenN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kenN »

The GR&I chapter of the PRRTHS is the group that I'm talking about. KJN

GreatNorthern84
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatNorthern84 »

Thanks everyone!

And Doktor, these were 60's into the 70's if my memory serves me correctly!

My best catch from that area was the cast iron "keystone" whistle post, a porcelain "CC" (end of circuit) sign, and the crossing cross buck with "Cat's Eyes"...not one is missing!

Really enjoying the group here!

Michael

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

GN84 would the name DeVries be signed on any of the sheets?
As for your other finds...GOOD SHOW! I have a PRR whistle post from the Traverse City branch in front of the fireplace. The crossbuck with the glass reflectors is a nice find too. They go for around 400 bucks at antique sales IF you can find one.
The GR&I site is part of the PRRT&HS. Jim Winslow is the manager if I remember correctly. He has pics and stuff on various sites. And joining the society is well worth the money. Great magazines quarterly. I have belonged for many years. Great group.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

kenN wrote:There is a GR&I Historical society. A friend of mine is involved; let me get in touch with him and let you know. KJN
Do you think they might have any build information on when the tower at Bridge Street was replaced with the existing structure?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

MQT1223 wrote:
kenN wrote:There is a GR&I Historical society. A friend of mine is involved; let me get in touch with him and let you know. KJN
Do you think they might have any build information on when the tower at Bridge Street was replaced with the existing structure?
The answer to that question is maybe. The PRRTHS has an archive with a lot of documents. Other collections of PRR documents were "donated" to a number of institutions. I believe the University of Michigan ended up with a sizable collection of PRR documents related to the railroad's affairs in Michigan.

Either way, you will not be able to call someone and have them find the documentation. At best, you may be able to locate where the documents are supposed to be by checking with the PRRTHS and UofM websites. Assuming you can find out where the documents you think you want, you can then make an appointment to search the archives.