Rogers City and the D&M....

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Rogers City and the D&M....

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

Sorry I haven't posted in a while..... Had a question regarding Rogers City. That City plays host to the largest quarry of its kind in the world so, why did they stop shipping via rail? After that shipper in Cheboygan closed (diapers?) it seems as though they pulled up the tracks fast as the machines would allow it all the way down to Alpena..... What up with RC?
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Rogers City and the D&M....

Unread post by AARR »

As amazing as it is nothing was shipped by rail since 1984. Everything goes out by ship and maybe some by truck. Like you I am astounded that an operation that big shipping a bulk product can't find one use for railroads but that's the way it is.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Likely a victim of the D&M and old LSRC way of trying to drive off as much business as they could.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Was this the Quarry that the D&M 10, GE 44 tonner operated out of? I have heard it spent most of it's days moving rock trains in a quarry but was never sure where that quarry was.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

SousaKerry wrote:Was this the Quarry that the D&M 10, GE 44 tonner operated out of? I have heard it spent most of it's days moving rock trains in a quarry but was never sure where that quarry was.
Not the same quarry. #10 worked at the D&M's Big Cut quarry near Hawks. The Rogers City Quarry had its own railroad on site with US Steel (Michigan Limestone & Chemical) locomotives. Alco RSs and Baldwins. At least one Baldwin ended up on SMS in New Jersey. http://baldwindiesels.railfan.net/sms/pjrl116sept04.jpg. They even had an RS painted up in Red-White-Blue for the bi-centennial back in'76.
They weren't photographed much as they stayed in the quarry and it was very difficult to gain access.
RR Pass Collector

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

MIGN-Todd, the original D&M south from Cheboygan to Big Cut wasn't used after 1979, according to Ron Cady in a 1992 Trains article. The Procter & Gamble diaper factory shipped down the old NYC instead. The factory closed in 1990. The line from Gaylord to Cheboygan wasn't removed until 1994, presumably a decent waiting period, although the plant subsequently reopened.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The new operator of the plant, Great Lakes Tissue Paper, produces far less product than the P&G plant did.
Steve B wrote: although the plant subsequently reopened.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

MP73point4 wrote: #10 worked at the D&M's Big Cut quarry near Hawks.
They weren't photographed much as they stayed in the quarry and it was very difficult to gain access.
I found this shot of #10 on the RRHX site.

Too bad they pulled up that rail North of Alpena. I had walked on the line a few times in the Aloha area South of Cheboygan. The track looked to be in very good condition.

QUESTION: What is "The Big Cut" ?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Big Cut was the gravel pit about 9ish miles northwest of Rogers City Jct. It was a steady customer for D&M until the early 1980's IIRC .
Pixl wrote:QUESTION: What is "The Big Cut" ?

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

Pixl wrote:
MP73point4 wrote: #10 worked at the D&M's Big Cut quarry near Hawks.
I found this shot of #10 on the RRHX site.

Too bad they pulled up that rail North of Alpena. I had walked on the line a few times in the Aloha area South of Cheboygan. The track looked to be in very good condition.

QUESTION: What is "The Big Cut" ?
My reference to rarely photographed was directed at the locomotives in the pit at Rogers City.
You could photograph the #10 pretty easily as Big Cut Rd. went right across the tracks there and #10 (or #646) would move into view frequently. It's a few miles east of Millersburg in Presque Isle county, kind of in the middle of nowhere.
RR Pass Collector

kenN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kenN »

Here is a picture of RS-? #123 at the Rogers City Pit on June 29, 1964. It was taken before I knew much about train photography, and I remember that I wanted to get the Bucyrus Erie shovel in the picture so I didn't get a decent shot of the locomotive. If I knew then what I know now......KJN
Attachments
RogersCity Quarry 6-29-64.jpg