Botsford Yard upgrade

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Botsford Yard upgrade

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Looking at images on historicaerials.com, I noticed that Botsford Yard in Kalamazoo was upgraded between 1965 and 1972. At the west end of the yard a lead running around the south side of the yard was added (coming off track 18 near the roundhouse) and a carport-style roof was added over the lead to the turntable (not visible in these images). At the east end of the yard, a little fill was put in the river and the yard tracks from track 8 or so upward were extended. I noticed long ago that the yard tracks from 8 on up came off the ladder in pairs, allowing the ladder to be at a steeper angle and the yard tracks to be a little longer. It looks like the full length of those yard tracks were resurfaced. Anyone know anything more to the story on this? I imagine it was related to the relatively new GM plant and/or moving traffic over from the former PRR Mosel Yard...

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Re: Botsford Yard upgrade

Unread post by trnwatcher »

I think you are correct Ben. When the Kilgore Yard was built PC was probably getting more interchange traffic from the GTW and thus needed the extra room. Also wasn't it around this time that PC was starting to route more slower traffic on the Michigan line to Elkhart and the faster freight was going down the Airline?
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Botsford Yard upgrade

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

I don't believe any through traffic was coming through Kalamazoo until the line between Kalamazoo and Three Rivers was upgraded around 1979.

Kalamazoo traffic was routed via Elkhart by EK/KE and Jackson by the JK/KJ turns.

The new wye at BO Tower was moved to the southeast quadrant and the connection at Michigan Ave to the CK&S South/Kilgore Yd was also put in between 1965 and 1972. Building Kilgore didn't necessarily involve more interchange...NYC and GTW shared ownership, handling switching rights at GM on alternating years (or was it alternating every six months?)