Sheridan Ave. Grand Rapids, Michigan

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Sheridan Ave. Grand Rapids, Michigan

Unread post by MQT1223 »

So, one of my friends (username jwyrick on RRfan) posted an interesting picture about some abandoned rails in the pavement near the Marathon gas station at the corner of Sheridan and Franklin St. What's the story on these? Were these connected to the spur that went over Century Ave. near the Comcast building or do these rails predate US 131? I had no idea they were even there until he pointed them out.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Re: Sheridan Ave. Grand Rapids, Michigan

Unread post by trnwatcher »

There was a coal dealer or some other company there back in the day. Track crossed Century and went up an incline to the coal dumper.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Coal dealer was SA Morman, there was a switchback to serve them off the Century St spur. The track showed on Conrail track charts into the early 80s, but IIRC a copy I have has the track noted as out of service or buried, without a date but most likely 1984ish. The spur came off the Pennsylvania yard until 131 was built, after that it was accessed off the C&O.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Ben Higdon wrote:Coal dealer was SA Morman, there was a switchback to serve them off the Century St spur. The track showed on Conrail track charts into the early 80s, but IIRC a copy I have has the track noted as out of service or buried, without a date but most likely 1984ish. The spur came off the Pennsylvania yard until 131 was built, after that it was accessed off the C&O.
Yeah my guess was a switchback. I bet that was a sight to see.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Ben Higdon wrote:1968

Cool maps. Getting up to the coal dealer had to have been a fun switching maneuver. I would typically associate a switchback with a logging railroad, not a spur in a metropolitan area.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

Seeing the maps made me remember that there were tracks that crossed the off ramp for SB US131 at Franklin. We went to church at St Josephs on Rumsey and dad would take Century home sometimes. I dont recall seeing the C&O switch these tracks but i do remember seeing cars spotted at Engle Lumber and SA Morman. I think most of this track was tore out in the 70s especially the lead off the curve there at Century. After the creation of Conrail and the coal train the C&O dumped on this curve, alot of track realignment happened in and around Sunnyside area.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Thanks for posting those pictures Ben. I found this 1967 USGS topo but it doesn't appear to show that track along Century

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

I took this screenshot off historicaerials.com

Image is from 1972

Noted on the map:
1. Century St spur crossing the offramp from 131 (the tip of the arrow is over a line in the pavement, the tracks are actually a half inch to the left of the point of the arrow)
2. The two elevated sidings at SA Mormon. In older aerials they appear to be covered by a roof. Interesting that the 1968 track chart notes the tracks as "falling down". That may have refered to the roof falling down, that was present in the 1965 aerial but gone by 1972
3. Century St spur crossing Century St

That track was really squeezed in between Century St and 131 until it crossed Century!

wyrickj
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wyrickj »

Very interesting info guys always wondered about it
Pure Michigan Railroads
YouTube | Facebook

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Thats track also went all the way south to just north of Hall Street. The warehouse that is still there, on the northwest corner of the Hall 131 interchange had two or three docks on the east side of the building. I remember seeing cars there up thru the 70's or so. It would be south of the cable tv offices. It was Speedy Checkout factory at one time and I think back in the day it also was a Steelcase plant.
SA Mormon is still there. The coal docks are probably still there also.
And no you would NOT have seen the C&O back there either. It was PRR/PC trackage thru my lifetime, even though after 131 was built they came into the site on the C&O from Hughart at Second St. Jct, AKA Pleasent Street.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Doktor No wrote:Thats track also went all the way south to just north of Hall Street. The warehouse that is still there, on the northwest corner of the Hall 131 interchange had two or three docks on the east side of the building. I remember seeing cars there up thru the 70's or so. It would be south of the cable tv offices. It was Speedy Checkout factory at one time and I think back in the day it also was a Steelcase plant.
And no you would NOT have seen the C&O back there either. It was PRR/PC trackage thru my lifetime, even though after 131 was built they came into the site on the C&O from Hughart at Second St. Jct, AKA Pleasent Street.
But how else would they get over there after 131 was built? They had to have trackage rights.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

SA Morman is now on Gezon Parkway. OAK now occupies the site having moved from the old lumber? yard the N W corner of Front and Butterworth now a GVSU parking lot.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223 wrote:
Doktor No wrote:Thats track also went all the way south to just north of Hall Street. The warehouse that is still there, on the northwest corner of the Hall 131 interchange had two or three docks on the east side of the building. I remember seeing cars there up thru the 70's or so. It would be south of the cable tv offices. It was Speedy Checkout factory at one time and I think back in the day it also was a Steelcase plant.
But how else would they get over there after 131 was built? They had to have trackage rights.
Reread Dok's last sentence...it was accessed from the C&O after 131 was built.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Oh ok I missed that. Yes I know that the C&O never went in there.

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

I stopped by to take a picture of the property a week or so ago, and forgot to post about it then. I can't seem to get the gallery to upload any photos from computer or my phone, but the coal docks are still in place behind the building on the hill. Had to be quite the climb to get them up there too...
Big Easy