Detroit Salt Mines

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Detroit Salt Mines

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

I know there is a huge operation in River Rouge for mining salt. I thought I remember thought there was more than one salt mine in Detroit and multiple covered shafts hidden over the city. Can anyone confirm this or the location of the closed mines. Also where there any mining operations in the Metro Detroit area other than rock and granite.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Detroit Salt Mines

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Detroit Salt is located in Melvindale. There are Emergency shafts, which will not be disclosed for obvious reasons. Other than salt, which is mined in Windsor also. The only other mining/quarry is of lime stone in Riverview, but on a limited basis. Nothing else in the Metro Detroit area.

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Yes it does go under Melvindale, Allen and Lincoln Park but the address shows Detroit which is where the main shaft is. I am not trying to sneak into there but find other abandoned mines in the area.

Detroit Salt Company
12841 Sanders St, Detroit, MI 48217

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

I believe all mine shafts and bore holes must be registered with the state and are public record. Not sure if there is a public database somewhere you may have to go to an office in Lansing to view them. I know there is an online database of wells somewhere that I have seen.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

The State of Michigan does have a map of all of the mining operations ( on line and I think I might have found it because of some conversations on one of these boards ). The salt deposit is very large as well and the limestone . There is some coal as well . Will try to locate that link.............

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

According to MDOT maps, Detroit Salt and the Marathon Refinery are within the corporate boundary of the City of Detroit. It's my understanding the Detroit, Windsor, Cleveland and New York salt mines are mining in the same huge salt formation.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

There's still salt mining taking place north of Detroit as well, to a certain extent. The old Diamond Crystal Salt plant in St. Clair is still producing salt as well.

Good luck getting into the "abandoned" mines. If the caverns had just one entrance/exit, and the sides/roof were considered to be thick enough, they've likely been converted to other uses. Underground bulk commodity storage is pretty big in this area, and I suspect those facilities are using the otherwise "abandoned" caverns left behind after salt was extracted. As a result, you can also expect these areas to be heavily secured.
~ Charles W.

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

It never hurts to look and check but it is hard to find them. I just love exploring anything abandoned.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I'm always game to explore anything old and abandoned!
wagnew0923 wrote:It never hurts to look and check but it is hard to find them. I just love exploring anything abandoned.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

I agree- I enjoy checking out abandoned places as well. I'd love to check out some of the coal mines up in the Thumb, but what's left of the salt mines were viable enough to serve another purpose. It would be really cool to be able to see them in person though.
AARR wrote:I'm always game to explore anything old and abandoned!
wagnew0923 wrote:It never hurts to look and check but it is hard to find them. I just love exploring anything abandoned.
~ Charles W.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Several years ago, one of the Detroit area TV stations did a feature on the salt mines. They showed some huge caverns, with roads and large dump trucks driving around. It was like a small city under the city. I don't remember what station it was, but it was interesting.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

I hear Detroit Salt gave public tours well into the 80's. Anyway, mines are dangerous places even when fully operational with all the safety precautions; it's not really something you want to mess with when they are closed. The urbexing stuff is even safer than messing with an abandoned mine. Either way, Detroit Salt is still very much in operation and I've heard very tight on security.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Here is some footage of the Detroit salt company switching form the bridge. Thankfully on this day DPD told the Marathon want to be cops to shove off.

"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Thankfully on this day DPD told the Marathon want to be cops to shove off.
Best news in a long time. I had an encounter with the goons several years ago. If they ever bother me again, I'll call 911 and say I'm being accosted by some police impersonators.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".