C&O Pere Marquette & Seymour

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

C&O Pere Marquette & Seymour

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Upon reading about the C&O Pere Marquette its interesting in that there used to be a station stop at Seymour on the Grand Rapids Sub. What kind of a station was at Kzoo Ave and where was it located if one goes to the area now? Kind of intrigues me that a stop was placed so close to Grand Rapids. When did the station get demolished? Was anyone lucky enough to photograph the Pere Marquette there before it was shut down in 1971?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Tom Train
Railroadfan...fan

Re: C&O Pere Marquette & Seymour

Unread post by Tom Train »

The station was just a three sided metal shed, open to trackside,with a small parking lot on the other side.
I presume the Idea was for passengers on the southeast side of town to not have to motor over to Wyoming yard.
It was located on the east side of Kzoo Ave and on the south side of the track.

kenN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kenN »

No pictures, but I remember getting off #11 there in November, 1967. Coming down the hill, the engineer overshot the platform by about 3 car lengths. They had to back up to the station and flag Kalamazoo Ave in the process. The conductor was embarrassed. The station was intended to be convenient for passengers from the east side of town, but it never caught on. The parking lot survived into the '70s but there's not a trace of it there now.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

We used to park there on Friday's afternoon to catch the train to Detroit to see Tiger games back in the late 60's early 70's. It was a flag stop only, no flag showing and the train high balled the stop.

What is left of the parking lot is semi visible in early spring before the weeds get to high. Was just a gravel lot with some old RR ties for parking blocks. The drive way was still there on Kalamazoo until they re-did the grade crossing a few years ago. The City of GR took the drive our and put new curbs back in. They also took the posts that had the chain across the drive out too.

I remember back in 1969 we got back to the Seymour stop during a thunderstorm. My dad's 1963 Ford Galaxy 500 would not start and we walked across the street to the bakery in a downpour to call someone to get a ride home. The guys in the bakery gave my sister and I cupcakes or Ho-Ho's or something while we waited drenched from the rain storm. A few weeks later my dad sold that car.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

NOT a flag stop but a REGULAR stop for all trains according to the ETT#2 Sunday October 25, 1970. Same with the ETT#157 Sunday April 26, 1964. We got off there more then once back in Da 60's.
And yes, just a three sided lil sheet metal shed and parking lot in the southeast corner. You had Michigan Bakery (smelled GOOD!) across the street and you had the cemetery across the tracks. Just a few homes up the street on Kalamazoo and the golf course to the south.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.