The Flying Scotsman in Michigan

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

The Flying Scotsman in Michigan

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Since it is now under steam once again, was anyone lucky enough to see this very unusual steam run in Michigan that featured the British Steam Locomotive Flying Scotsman? The locomotive was modified to coincide with US regulations and was suppose to take a nationwide tour for some promotion that was cut short. I know that the locomotive stopped in Lansing (I've seen photo's) along with its train of matching cars but where else in Michigan did the engine go? Picture's seem to be kind of hard to find. I've also read that the vacuum brakes the British Train's used have some compatibility issues with the pneumatic brakes we use here in the US.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Re: The Flying Scotsman in Michigan

Unread post by PatAzo »

I saw it pass through Vicksburg. My ad, brother and I started west of Schoolcraft. My dads got a phone box open and was listening to the dispatcher to estimate when it would head east. My brother and I were tasked to watch for cars and signal dad so he could close the phone box. I remember my dad and a couple other guys who recalled steam hushing us so they could listen to the Scotsman working into the distance.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Re: The Flying Scotsman in Michigan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Vacuum brakes have compatabilty problems with US Air Brakes? Why I am shocked!
Other then its a compleatly OPPOSITE operating system I can't imagine what the problem would be...other then one sucks and one blows. 8-)
They used English cars so no problem.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.