Huron & Eastern

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
railroads2000
Railroadfan...fan

Huron & Eastern

Unread post by railroads2000 »

Hello,

I'd like to find out some info on the Huron & Eastern from the early years. I came across a video of the H&E from about the 1989-1990 time frame, and it shows a train power by two GP 9's bringing a train into I believe is Bad Axe, Michigan and the train was manly grain hoppers, tanks and a few 86 ft. Hi cubes. The 86 ft. cars are the main focus. Where did these cars originate from and where were they going to? I assume these cars were carrying Auto Parts? Were they loaded online or interchanged to the H&E? I'm a Truck Driver and I run to Elkton from Romulus, Michigan five days a week and I pick up auto parts for Ford Motor from Tower Automotive. These types of cars are a favorite of mine. Thanks.

James Barnes, Jr.
Taylor, Michigan

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Re: Huron & Eastern

Unread post by cnw8835 »

Do you mind linking the video here so we can see exactly what you are talking about?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

In the time frame you are asking about there were two auto parts plants shipping by rail. The one in Elkton was operated by Active Industries. The place in Sebewaing may have also been operated by Active. Both places loaded steel stampings and also scrap steel. They were interchanged with CSX in Saginaw.

The place in Elkton is currenlty operated by Tower and still ships out scrap steel but all stampings go out by truck AFAIK.
railroads2000 wrote:The 86 ft. cars are the main focus. Where did these cars originate from and where were they going to? I assume these cars were carrying Auto Parts? Were they loaded online or interchanged to the H&E?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

It has been at least 5 years and probably more that the 86 ft high cubes have been absent from Tower in Elkton. The Omnisource scrap gons are the only cars they receive now. The covered hoppers are mainly for grain from the Cooperative Elevators in Elkton, Pigeon, Sebewaing and more.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for posting the video's, pbmax!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...