Beechings Cuts

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Beechings Cuts

Unread post by Doktor No »

I found the term Beechings Cuts on the TRAINS News forum the other day...so I looked it up on Google. Seems Beeching was the guy in Great Britan the did the massive cuts to Englands Railways in the mid 60's that cut hundreds of miles of branch's and main lines to various...out of the way places...according to him anyway.
Went to YOUTUBE where there is a plethora of very fascinating articles and videos of what he did but one stuck out...if only because I had an English grand mother...and I also love the PBS show Downton Abbey.
So try this tune on for size then go to YOUTUBE and do a little research and find a ton of interesting videos of English railways after WWII.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTFcN8RsJbs
I swear I can see the players from Downton awaiting the down train to London on the station platform.
Just thought I'd pass this bit of history along for your perusal. Has implications to what happened to us in the 80's with our freight railways, especially here in Michigan and the Midwest.
Thank me later. This should give you guys something to do for awhile...I sure found it fascinating.
Dan in Rockford
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Beechings Cuts

Unread post by PatAzo »

I always found the standards they built to in the U.K. interesting. Even an out of the way branch line station got an elevated platform. I noticed in most of the photos an absence of passengers on the platforms. That more than anything else probably did in the branch lines.