Fireless Steam Loco in Harbor Beach

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Fireless Steam Loco in Harbor Beach

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Apparently this was the last industrial operation that used a steam locomotive of any kind (in this case a fireless version) until the locomotive was finally retired in 1994. Did anyone witness this locomotive in operation at the plant it worked at during its last years?

Here is the info on the operation from steamlocomotive.com in their "Last of Steam" section of their website:

Sensient Flavors
Sensient continued to switch its plant in Harbor Beach with fireless 0-4-0F #4 until February 22, making this operation very likely the last industrial steam operation in the country.
February 22, 1994
Harbor Beach, MI
Source: Railfan & Railroad, April 2010

Also included are many other cases of steam holdouts and unique cases where steam continued long after the steam era was over. I will provide a link for anyone else that cares to read.

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/lastofsteam.php

Here is a picture of the locomotive from 2001 and 2002. I cannot find anything more recent, but it looks like the locomotive is still in Harbor Beach judging on information from steamlocomotive.com and railroadmichigan.com.

The locomotive was built by H.K. Porter serial #8123, in 1947.

1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Re: Fireless Steam Loco in Harbor Beach

Unread post by Racer »

I assume the trackage to the plant is long gone?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Track to Harbor Beach was abandoned and removed around 1994ish. This was around the time HESR traded in its GP-9's for 38-2's. Apparently the slightly heavier 38-2's damaged the track and there was not enough business to justify repair/upgrading the track.
Racer wrote:I assume the trackage to the plant is long gone?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Mackinac Mac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mackinac Mac »

Here is a photo I took yesterday of the 0-4-0F at Harbor Beach. Sensient Flavors the current owner recently repainted the locomotive and boarded up the cab. They also painted their logo on the pressure vessel and added a history marker on public property. Very nice to see this awesome old locomotive get some much deserved TLC!

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

On a related note, are there any operable fire-less locomotives anywhere? Obviously you would need a stationary boiler to supply the engine with steam!
Last edited by SD80MAC on Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

The Lake Shore Railway Museum's 0-6-0 Fireless Heisler is the only fireless locomotive that I've known to operate in recent years. The Wanamaker, Kempton and Southern had one too but idk where that one went.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Mackinac Mac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mackinac Mac »

Also I believe this was repainted about 5 years ago