Signal Photographs

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Signal Photographs

Unread post by Ypsi »

For those who find the different types of unique signals on railroads interesting, we may be nearing the end of an era, with signaling projects happening on many major lines. Slight variations in signals will likely not go away, but we are likely heading to a day where there are no more, and or very few, "old school" type G trilights, searchlights, Color Position Lights, and other various models. I recently have taken a liking to photographing some of the different signals that I have come across, and more recently using my drone to aid in this which I feel adds a really neat perspective to the photographs that I take. That all being said I figured this would be a fine spot to post the signal photos that I take, and kind of keep tabs on which ones are still around and which ones have bit the dust. I would also be interested to see others photos of unique or no longer standing signals.

The way this started was with one of the last intermediate trilights on the Michigan Line, mp 15 which serves as the approach for MORT and Wayne Junction. This was the first time I tried for a unique view as such. Status: Unknown (may have been replaced by now, have not been down recently)

ImageTrilight by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

Pittsfield Junction has always been a favorite spot of mine, but a little bit of that died recently. Here is the only decent shot I took of the dwarf, with a train of course. Status: Removed as of 8/7/15

ImagePittsfield Junction Dwarf by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

The other signal I photographed at Pittsfield, the northbound diamond signal. I took this photo on July 30th, a week before they were gone. Status: Removed as of 8/7/15

ImageAnn Arbor Railroad Pittsfield Junction by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

A couple of Conrail Franken Signals a bit closer to home for me mp 30 on the Michigan Line, which is a mini searchlight, and likely made from a mix match of NYC and CR signal parts that were lying around in the 1980's. Status: In service currently (as of 9/27/15)

ImageMichigan Line Signal 30E by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

Another possible Franken Signal that I like is CP Ypsi at mp 28. Maybe its a NYC original, maybe not, but in 1986 Conrail replaced the old signals with something that turned out to be not much better at all. Status: In service currently (as of 9/27/15)

ImageCP Ypsi Trilight by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

In Romulus there is a signal that I have heard is not that old, but is unique. The northbound C&O cantilever is a neat signal, as it is the last old signal protecting CP Romulus, and it has searchlights mounted atop. This signal was rumored to be cut over this summer but that has yet to happen. Status: In service currently (as of 9/27/15)

ImageC&O Cantilver Signal, Ro/mulus Michigan by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

A personal favorite spot of mine to just watch trains at on the Chicago Line is Swanton Ohio, there is also a nice signals still standing. The old NYC bracket signal stands on the west bound main while a dwarf protects the siding. Status: In service currently (as of 9/27/15)

ImageCP Swanton Trilight and Dwarf by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

The B&O used unique Color Position Light signals on some of its lines. I got my first taste of them and of course had to photograph one for my collection. Here is my shot of the northbound signal at South Deshler. Status: In service currently (as of 9/27/15)

ImageB&O CPL Signal South Deshler by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

Another dwarf for my collection of photographs, this one probably the coolest dwarf I have seen. A Color Position Light dwarf at South Deshler. Status: In service currently (as of 9/27/15)

ImageC&O CPL Dwarf Signal South Deshler by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

Enjoy and I hope to add more to this as well as learn about the different types of signals and see others favorites! :)
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

astrovanman1989
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Signal Photographs

Unread post by astrovanman1989 »

here is my one and only signal it was the train order signal for the co rr depot in vassar mi might be getting a search light if they can find the guts

member of the
Soo Line historical society
DSS&A historical society
http://www.youtube.com/user/tricityrailfan

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

For reference, I suggest: Classic Railroad Signals: Semaphores, Searchlights, and Towers and Railroad Signaling, both by Brian Solomon.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Q334 passing the Classic Pere Marquette Searchlights at Fowlerville.

ImageQ334 - Fowlerville, MI by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Amtrak 355 passing the Old NYC Bracket Signals at CP Miller.

ImageAmtrak 355 - CP Miller Bracket Signals by tcamp7837, on Flickr

CN 371 under one of the various old GTW Searchlight Signal Bridges in Pontiac at MAL Junction.

ImageSanta Fe Painted 204 - Pontiac, MI by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Amtrak 353 leaving Pontiac at MAL Jct.

ImageAmtrak 353 - M.A.L. Jct by tcamp7837, on Flickr

NS 121 lite with a Clear on the Conrail Trilight at Milwaukee Jct in Detroit.

ImageNS 8757, Clear Milwaukee Jct by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Amtrak 350 passing the New Trilights at Milwaukee Jct

ImageAmtrak 350 - Clay St, Detroit by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Conrail Tri Light at 18.2 on the Detroit Line and a Classic Dodge Van.

ImageThe Bentley Van & Conrail 18.2 Signal - Detroit Line by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Amtrak Hiawatha under the Classic Pennsylvania Signal Bridge at CP Morgan in Chicago.

ImageAmtrak Hiawatha - CP Morgan by tcamp7837, on Flickr

CSX Q132 passing the Searchlights at Delray

ImageQ132 - Delray Signals by tcamp7837, on Flickr

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

C&O, Lemoyne, OH

ImageC&O on the C&O by Jim Guest, on Flickr

PM/C&O, Grand Rapids, MI on Godfrey's last night standing.

ImageGoodnight, Godfrey by Jim Guest, on Flickr

Position Lights, Leesburg, IN

ImagePosition Lights by Jim Guest, on Flickr

NKP, EE North Findlay, OH at dawn.

ImageNickel Plate Pre-Dawn by Jim Guest, on Flickr

B&O, Cairo, OH

ImageRedemption by Jim Guest, on Flickr

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

Sort of like TriCityRailfan here is my sole signal - a US&S "early-style" position-light dwarf, as favored by the Pennsy:

It fits nicely on one of our end-tables in our den, despite the weight (+200 lbs. of cast-iron) and is quite a conversation-starter when guests come over. All four lamps work, and I have a circuit that can drive between the stop-restricting-slow approach and slow clear indications on a timer. I wanted to save one of these as all dwarfs are rapidly disappearing on the Class 1s, especially ones as old as these (pre-WWII).

Hopefully some of the old signals will stick around on regionals and short-lines that don't need to meet the PTC act thresholds on TIH hazmat and passenger service. At least a few of the old-girls are still in service, here on the former Ft. Wayne line under the G&W banner:

When that day comes that they all disappear from the field I hope I'm not the only 'fan or museum that has saved one of these. What we need is a "Noah's Ark" of sorts that has an example of each type preserved and lit, perhaps on a regional basis for the roads that ran in that territory. Much better than letting the scrappers mindlessly turn them back into ingots.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

The short answer to your question is yes, I do take photos with signals included.

The long answer is....now I'm gonna make you look at a bunch of them! I've been actively trying to get signals into photos for the past 10 years and more. Sometimes more of a background element or side element, othertimes they take front and center helping to frame the train itself. Of course, I've done some outright documentation of signals themselves, with no train in sight (not that I wasn't hoping one was coming along at that very moment...) I've also extensively documented the semaphores along the route of the Southwest Chief and those last few which remained along the route of the Cardinal before they were felled.

Here are some of my photos with signals. Nothing super recent yet considering I've been living afar for the past 5 years and also railfanning a lot of signal-less shortlines. The captions are those which I published with the photos when they were uploaded...in some cases almost 10 years ago. In parenthesis I've included a current update, as I'm aware. Feel free to chime in and let me know if something else has changed. Also, if you search for my images on the railroadfan photo gallery, you'll find more photos to scroll through....a bunch of which somehow include signals. Enjoy!

This is a vintage Santa Fe style (1940s) cantilever signal, located at the east end of the crossovers at CP-Basta, in Fullerton, CA. Unfortunately, this signal's fate is already sealed as a new modern aluminum signal will be erected on this site soon. 3-4-2005 (replaced not long thereafter in advance of the Fullerton west triple tracking project)

Genesis #35 leads Amtrak train #353, the Lake Cities, over the CSX mainline at Wayne Jct. The CSX mainline is the track on the right with the C&O searchlight signals, while the passing siding/running track, added during the late Chessie era and with Conrail style small backround searchlights, is on the left. wayne Tower once stood under the CTC lines at the right. 5-4-2005 (Still in service as of 10/2015)

One of just a few remaining semaphores left in Michigan, this example is located on the former C&O at Manistee. This serves as a Distant Approach signal, locked in the "approach" position, indicating Rule C-285A, prepare to stop at next signal. In this case, the next signal is the absolute signal for the Manistee River Swing Bridge. The yard is a small holding yard for cars in Manistee. This semaphore is located at the crossing with US-31 just north of the river. Photo was taken during July 2004. (Taken down not long after for someone's mantle collection, I was told)

Intermodal train 26N throttles up as it gets a clear indication from the NYC era signals at MP-419 on the Water Level Route at Elkhart, Indiana. Leading the train is a rare Conrail C39-8, #8202, which is followed by Conrail 8-40CW #8409. It is becomming more difficult to see solid Conrail consists out and about, so this was treat! The signal, power lines and code line provide a nice frame for this awesome train! November 22, 2006. (Removed earlier this year for the new Elkhart east signal upgrade project)

One of only two CSX signal bridges elsewhere in Michigan from the Detroit Subdivision, this double track signal bridge is located at milepost 34.9 on the Saginaw Subdivision in Burton, Michigan, just south of Flint. It is visible from nearby Chambers St. between Atherton Rd and Lippincott Blvd. As an intermediate signal, it only lights up on the approach of a train. December 28, 2006. (Still in service as of 10/2015, although the southbound track has since been removed)

Amtrak's Capitol Limited makes a station stop at the 1900 built Lake Shore & Michigan Southern depot at Elkhart, Indiana on May 4, 2007. A treat were the three private cars bringing up the rear of this Superliner train: a Pullman 10-6 sleeper, a Northern Pacific Vista-Dome car, and Louisville & Nashville observation "Royal Street." It adds a classy end to this train, and is vaguely reminiscent of the observation cars on the 20th Century Limited. May 4, 2007. (Still in service as of 10/2015)

The BO Tower operator has lined up a clear routing through the interlocking for freight train B-1-G this lunch hour. Conrail painted GP40-2s #3066 and #3067 hustle the 9 car train west bound for Lawton, Dowagiac and Niles. B-1-G runs west from Kalamazoo Tuesdays and Thursdays, and is the only freight train which still plies that portion of the old NYC Michigan Line. February 5, 2008. (Removed in 2014 as part of the BO Tower C&S upgrade project)

This is the last remaining active bracket signal on the CSX in Michigan, located at the south end of the Grand Blanc passing siding on the CSX Saginaw Subdivision. The Saginaw Subdivision is home to a number of cantilever and mast signals in the Flint region, but this is the only bracket signal of this type. Lansing also had a few bracket types with semaphores back in the day, and a few of the old frames remain near Ensel Yard, but today out of service. April 30, 2008. (Still in service as of 10/2015)

Unusual (for CSX) tri-light signals which guard the crossover track at the west end of Benton Harbor Yard in St. Joseph, MI. No telling just how long this historic mast, and it's other tri-light counterpart for EB movements, have been here, but they are due to be taken down the first week of November 2010. The crossover has been removed and will not be replaced; and another trace of old railroad history will be lost. July 10, 2010. (Removed in late 2010 as part of the GR Sub signal upgrade project)

CSX local job D716 is shown coming southbound past the old C&O searchlight home signal at Wick Road, north of Romulus, MI. D716 has former B&O/Chessie GP40-2 #6117 for power this afternoon. September 22, 2008. (Still in service as of 10/2015)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

J T wrote:Image
Abandoned somewhere? I don't see the tracks/grade in the photo - either left or right of the signal - but can't help but notice the "tree" directly in front of the target. ;)

Neat photo nonetheless. There used to be an abandoned former NYC type G tri-light block signal in Rochester, MI for southward trains, along the old MC grade just east of downtown. It was there for years but once the new Royal Park Hotel went in that was the end of the NYC right-of-way. I think the bulldozers took care of everything industrial nearby as the town continued its march towards gentrification.

Bummer... I miss the old grade which used to host 4-6-4 Hudsons and lightening-striped E-units.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

JT's pic is in Elmdale. The signal off the Elmdale Sub to the Plymouth sub. Its behind the maintainers shanty in the brush.
"One in the box, two in the bush boss....."
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

West Chicago Illinois
ImageMetra 126 west. West Chicago, Illinois by Conrailman5, on Flickr
Albion MI
ImageAMTRAK 359 Albion MI by Conrailman5, on Flickr
Somewhere west of Jasper AB
ImageVIA Rail Rockies and Searchlights by Conrailman5, on Flickr
Long Lac, ON
ImageCN Cantiliever Long Lac ON by Conrailman5, on Flickr
Swanton, OH EB
ImageNorfolk Southern 951 Officer Car Special Swanton Ohio by Conrailman5, on Flickr
Swanton OH WB
ImageNorfolk Southern 14N Swanton Ohio by Conrailman5, on Flickr
Swanton OH Dwarf
ImageSwanton Siding Dwarf Signal by Conrailman5, on Flickr
CP TOWNLINE Dearborn MI
ImageNS 61T. CP TOWNLINE Dearborn, Michigan by Conrailman5, on Flickr
MP 15E Inskter, MI
ImageB17 MP 15, Dearborn Michigan by Conrailman5, on Flickr
Milan MI
ImageNK 765 Milan by
Conrailman5, on Flickr
MP 297. Holland OH
ImageSplittin' the tri lights by Conrailman5, on Flickr
Super Juicy MP301. West of Hollnad OH
ImageNorfolk Southern 24M Eastbound by Conrailman5, on Flickr
Another of MH30, Ypsilanti MI
ImageNYC signal mast by Conrailman5, on Flickr
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

I'll bite.
LaPorte, IN recently:
UP signals, Rochelle, IL on 8/2/15
NYC signals, Waterloo, IN, 5/30/15.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1