CNW Watersmeet line questions

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

CNW Watersmeet line questions

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

From what I understand, the CNW Watersmeet line was use to get Gogebic range ore to the docks at Escanaba. However the last mine in the Gogebic range closed in 1967, and the line was abandoned in 1981? what kept the line alive for another 15 or so years? What were operations like on this line? also any pictures or a link to sources of pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MichRails
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CNW Watersmeet line questions

Unread post by MichRails »

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I have been doing a little research on the CNW former Michigan and Wisconsin line which passed through Watersmeet on an E/W alignment.

I think the business on the line was general freight and forest products once the mining industry shut down. The plywood mill in Bessemer was opened in 1986, so they would not have shipped by rail.

The distances between significant towns in the UP may have allowed general freight service to survive longer than in more populous places. There was and still is some agriculture in the area.

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

Standard Railfan wrote:I have been doing a little research on the CNW former Michigan and Wisconsin line which passed through Watersmeet on an E/W alignment.

I think the business on the line was general freight and forest products once the mining industry shut down. The plywood mill in Bessemer was opened in 1986, so they would not have shipped by rail.

The distances between significant towns in the UP may have allowed general freight service to survive longer than in more populous places. There was and still is some agriculture in the area.
That makes sense, seems like the lines up there can survive forever off of pulpwood haha. Do you happen to know of any photos of the line?

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

Janga, Sherwood Mine in Iron River closed in 1978 so I believe there was still some ore traffic east to Escanaba until then. West of there, seems I remember reading about Diamond Match having some kind of business in Marenisco west of Watersmeet, and I remember seeing maps showing the line to Ironwood eventually stub-ended at Marenisco. Once the Sherwood closed there was little reason to continue service west of Iron Mountain.

Then there was the lumbering branch heading north out of Watersmeet and splitting at Interior - serving stops at places like Paulding, Choate, Robbins, Radford and Sandhurst. Looks like it was abandoned around 1940: http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/E ... er1941.htm. There is an old abandoned cemetery at Interior, and a park at Bond Falls has a nice sign detailing those lines on a map. Next time I'm home I'll see if I can dig up the picture I took of it.

EDIT:
Owosso Steve

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

JANGAJONGA wrote:That makes sense, seems like the lines up there can survive forever off of pulpwood haha. Do you happen to know of any photos of the line?
I do not have any photos in my possession. There are some good photos of the railroads in the Ironwood area at the museum located in the former CNW depot in Ironwood. The City website has a couple of shots:

http://cityofironwood.org/About/History ... nwood.html

You might want to check out Superior Views webpage also:

http://www.viewsofthepast.com/topics/images.htm#