US-131 North of Mancelona

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

US-131 North of Mancelona

Unread post by James Sofonia »

I just went thru here today on my way to Petoskey, 131 parallels the GLC straight as an arrow for miles. Between the highway and the tracks is a snowmobile trail that is on an improved grade. I've always wondered what that grade was even before it was designated a snowmobile trail. Someone told at one time this stretch was 4 lanes at one time later reduced to two when traffic started using I-75. Anyone know the history of this? It doesn't look wide enough to have been a highway.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Re: US-131 North of Mancelona

Unread post by Michael »

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

MDOT 4 laned it in 1956, adding the lanes you see today as a divided highway and 2 laned it removing the original lanes - today's snowmobile trail in 1968. The NB lanes were lower and drifted bad in the winter so they closed the NB lanes in the winter. (I remember riding with my dad thru there in the winter) Not in the link is the fact one winter a drunk thought he was on the NB lanes passed a car and killed a car full of people coming SB. That helped push the removal.

http://www.michiganhighways.org/listings/US-131.html

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Real interesting reading guys, THANKS.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Raildudes dad wrote:MDOT 4 laned it in 1956, adding the lanes you see today as a divided highway and 2 laned it removing the original lanes - today's snowmobile trail in 1968. The NB lanes were lower and drifted bad in the winter so they closed the NB lanes in the winter.
Hmm...the future of WB Chicago Drive between Hudsonville and Zeeland could be a snowmobile trail? :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.