DC vs. AC power in locomotives

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

DC vs. AC power in locomotives

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Can somebody please elaborate on this? I don't usually deal much with newer diesels but this is one thing about the newer diesels that I don't quite understand. What is the big deal about putting AC power in a locomotive versus conventional DC power? I'm not at all very familiar with DC or AC power individually as a whole to know the pros and cons about putting them in different locomotives, Say for example an ES44DC vs. an ES44AC locomotive.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: DC vs. AC power in locomotives

Unread post by Saturnalia »

There is a TON of stuff already online and on this board on this subject. I suggest you start there. Plenty of expert articles telling you all you need to know.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

To put it in very simple terms, AC engines can pull a lot more at slow speeds without burning up their traction motors, unlike older DC models.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

One letter of the alphabet :lol:
But really here's a good article from a simple google search of your thread title
http://www.republiclocomotive.com/ac_tr ... ction.html
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut