SD45

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

SD45

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Any clue on roughly how many SD45's exist still in service in their original configuration? By original I mean they weren't de-rated to SD40-2 specs to prevent the engines from tearing themselves apart. Only SD45 I've seen was at the MOT in St. Louis, the Erie Lackawanna unit. Conrail retired it after it snapped the crankshaft and threw it through the block, which is how it sits today.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Re: SD45

Unread post by JStryker722 »

MQT1223 wrote:Any clue on roughly how many SD45's exist still in service in their original configuration? By original I mean they weren't de-rated to SD40-2 specs to prevent the engines from tearing themselves apart. Only SD45 I've seen was at the MOT in St. Louis, the Erie Lackawanna unit. Conrail retired it after it snapped the crankshaft and threw it through the block, which is how it sits today.
Most got upgraded to either SD45-2 or rebuilt to what MRL calls SD40R specs (basically SD40-2/3)
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

JStryker722 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:Any clue on roughly how many SD45's exist still in service in their original configuration? By original I mean they weren't de-rated to SD40-2 specs to prevent the engines from tearing themselves apart. Only SD45 I've seen was at the MOT in St. Louis, the Erie Lackawanna unit. Conrail retired it after it snapped the crankshaft and threw it through the block, which is how it sits today.
Most got upgraded to either SD45-2 or rebuilt to what MRL calls SD40R specs (basically SD40-2/3)
Yeah not many pure SD45's out there. I believe there is at least one SDP45.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Matt Short Line H
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Matt Short Line H »

I am not sure f they are pure but the Dakota, Missouri Valley & Western has i think 2 SD45'S and 2 SD50F's.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos. ... wdisplay=5
"You want to be original, you want to be yourself, and whether that's accepted or not accepted, that's not as important as being you" - Tyler Hubbard, Half of Duo Florida Georgia Line

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It seems Washington Eastern (I'm not sure if that's the name) may have a SD45 or two (or maybe they're derated to 40's).
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

IRM has Wisconsin Central 7525 and Great Northern #400 "Huscle Muscle" is around.

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

IORY 9500 is a 20-cylindered SD45R still in SP paint, IORY 9400 is a SD45T-2 also in SP paint. I believe IR 7444 is an SD45R too with 20 cylinders.
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

astrovanman1989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by astrovanman1989 »

lake superior rr museum has a ex wc new np it is out being repaired and repainted as the rr has free time to work on it im not sure where it is
member of the
Soo Line historical society
DSS&A historical society
http://www.youtube.com/user/tricityrailfan

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

astrovanman1989 wrote:lake superior rr museum has a ex wc new np it is out being repaired and repainted as the rr has free time to work on it im not sure where it is
Wow. I thought those were long extinct.
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

Matt Short Line H
Railroadfan...fan

astrovanman1989 wrote:lake superior rr museum has a ex wc new np it is out being repaired and repainted as the rr has free time to work on it im not sure where it is
Just emailed LSRRM and the station manager, Josh Miller, said that it is being finished as we speak and will be unveiled at the Northern Pacific Convention in July. It will then be shipped back to the LSRRM.
"You want to be original, you want to be yourself, and whether that's accepted or not accepted, that's not as important as being you" - Tyler Hubbard, Half of Duo Florida Georgia Line

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Matt Short Line H wrote:
Just emailed LSRRM and the station manager, Josh Miller, said that it is being finished as we speak and will be unveiled at the Northern Pacific Convention in July. It will then be shipped back to the LSRRM.
Nice. Two Wisconsin Central SD45's will be operational. Need to get IRM's unit and pair it up with this one for a flashback to the 90's.

Matt Short Line H
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223 wrote:
Matt Short Line H wrote:
Nice. Two Wisconsin Central SD45's will be operational. Need to get IRM's unit and pair it up with this one for a flashback to the 90's.

You misunderstood. It was repainted into Northern Pacific Black, Gold & Red.
Astrovanman1989 said that before.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

MQT1223 wrote:IRM has Wisconsin Central 7525 and Great Northern #400 "Huscle Muscle" is around.
Is the Hustle Muscle still on display at the Minnesota Transportation Museum's Jackson Street Roundhouse in St. Paul, Minnesota, or is it operational on the Osceola & St. Croix Valley Railway? Either way, it's part of the Great Northern Railway Historical Society's collection, even though it's on loan to the MTM.
~ Charles W.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

I had no idea when I photographed this that it was still a "Stock" SD-45-T

https://www.flickr.com/photos/digitalra ... ed-public/

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

A Seaboard Coast Line SD45 #2024 was recently donated to the Southern Appalachia Railway Museum and is still in working order with its original 3600hp EMD 645 prime mover.

Matt Short Line H
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223 wrote:A Seaboard Coast Line SD45 #2024 was recently donated to the Southern Appalachia Railway Museum and is still in working order with its original 3600hp EMD 645 prime mover.
SCL 2024 is now VLIX 8924, the same number it wore on I&M Rail Link.

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=4290179

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

Matt Short Line H wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:A Seaboard Coast Line SD45 #2024 was recently donated to the Southern Appalachia Railway Museum and is still in working order with its original 3600hp EMD 645 prime mover.
SCL 2024 is now VLIX 8924, the same number it wore on I&M Rail Link.

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=4290179
That's probably a transport/operational formality for shipping on foreign rails more than anything.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D