Were there any Griswold-base signals in Michigan?

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Burb8145
Railroadfan...fan

Were there any Griswold-base signals in Michigan?

Unread post by Burb8145 »

Were there ever any crossing signals with the familiar Griswold gate base in Michigan? There were probably not that many, if there were any in Michigan.

If you never saw one before, here's an rxrsignals.net picture of a former crossing near the Orange Empire Railway Museum in southern California that had these signals.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
-Red Green

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: Were there any Griswold-base signals in Michigan?

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Burb8145 wrote:Were there ever any crossing signals with the familiar Griswold gate base in Michigan? There were probably not that many, if there were any in Michigan.

If you never saw one before, here's an rxrsignals.net picture of a former crossing near the Orange Empire Railway Museum in southern California that had these signals.
Those Griswold Pedestal Signals were a lot more popular out West, since the Griswold Signal Company was based out of Minneapolis, Minnesota. There are still a lot out there to be found, especially on UP and ex. C&NW lines. Seems like here in the east there was a lot more WRRS stuff then Griswold, RACO, or US&S, although I'm sure some ended up here or there. I do know there is one of the very RARE and iconic Griswold Rotating Stop Sign Signals located in the back of the roundhouse at Greenfield Village. It would be neat to see it operational opposite of their Wig Wag up front. There are less then FIVE of those left in service in the entire COUNTRY. I'm not sure why Griswold opted for those large bases, although it probably held a lot of the individual signal's electronics and the gate motor if one was present.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Yeah, I suspect it was the electrical cabinet. Basically, it is what all the old semaphores were. I'm guessing they were phased out for the bungalows/external cabinets as things became more complex or for ergonomic reasons?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:Yeah, I suspect it was the electrical cabinet. Basically, it is what all the old semaphores were. I'm guessing they were phased out for the bungalows/external cabinets as things became more complex or for ergonomic reasons?
The entire system was not ran from the cases under the signals. External cabinets were used as well.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)