Update on Henry Michigan

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Update on Henry Michigan

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

The plot of land that I believe that the lumber/railroad town of Henry sat on is State owned land. So I bought a metal detector and have been practicing how to use it. I am not sure what I hope to find there but considering it use to be a railroad hub for lumber operations I am sure there has to be something. What should I keep my eyes open for? What are some of the best artifacts you have found while exploring an abandoned line. I plan on tackling this over Memorial Day weekend so my exploration is right around the corner.

Please also advise any other areas you want me to hit with the metal detector, perhapes in September I can go there.

ThatRailfanningKid
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Update on Henry Michigan

Unread post by ThatRailfanningKid »

Metal detectors are a great hobby. Good luck on your search! I have a metal detector as well, and plan to comb the old branch line north of Clare on private land for some goodies. For non-railroad-related areas to search, silver lake and other beaches along Lake Michigan are great areas to look. Beaches in general are great places to look. If you know of other state owned right of ways, those would be good too. I personally would like to go along the rail-trail east of Clare. Also, if you have connections to people who have an old grade on their property, that would make a great place to look as well. In general, the places with less access by the public are better.
Evan

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

ThatRailfanningKid wrote:and plan to comb the old branch line north of Clare on private land for some goodies.
IIRC that went to Harrison and was removed 50-60 years ago. Maybe longer.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Spike-spike-spike-rail clip-spike-spike-tie plate.....
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Make sure the area you are going to is not protected. There are a lot of areas up here that are protected grounds for artifacts. There are a few areas Id like to poke around but the state has signs posted about metal detecting.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

ThatRailfanningKid
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ThatRailfanningKid »

AARR wrote: IIRC that went to Harrison and was removed 50-60 years ago. Maybe longer.
It did. I have relatives who own property that contains a section of right of way. In fact, before the line was removed, someone had a house delivered by rail and built it not far from the right of way, just down the road.
Evan

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

If the area is protected with signs I will not go on it. I hope I find parts of buildings and spikes and rail plates.